Micro SD

I have sansa express 1GB when I insert micro SD 512mb in, After inserting it says refreshing database do not remove SD card but at the end nothing happened

on computer also it shows only internal memory any suggestion ?

@deepishan wrote:

I have sansa express 1GB when I insert micro SD 512mb in, After inserting it says refreshing database do not remove SD card but at the end nothing happened

on computer also it shows only internal memory any suggestion ?

Try formating your card using a card reader. Format it as FAT32.

Check the ID3 tags of the songs to make sure that they are properly tagged. If they are not, the Express may not recognize them.

Could you unpack that a little more? What’s a card reader? And how do you check id3 tags?

I’m using a Mac, and I’ve noticed when I plug my player in with a microSD card in, sometimes the computer recognizes 2 separate drives (internal and microSD card), but sometimes only one or the other. Any ideas? So far, it hasn’t been a huge problem. I just put the device away and remount it, maybe removing (and reinserting) the card, etc.

[FWIW I’m new not only to the Sandisk Express player, but to mp3 players generally - though I’ve used mp3s with in-computer players (Mac and PC) & CD burners…]

@elaine wrote:

Could you unpack that a little more? What’s a card reader?

For clarity I am splitting my response. First the easy one.

The card reader is an adaptor so you can connect your micro SD card to your computer’s USB port.

I have had an occasional problem transferring music onto the card with the card inserted in the Express. I have had no problems with transferring music to the card reader, then inserting the card into the Express. 

I use the Ativa micro SD card reader, similar to the one shown. The one shown is for the mini SD card, and is slightly larger than the card reader for the micro SD card. There are many different brands and styles of card readers. If you purchase one, select one that supports HC cards.

@elaine wrote:

And how do you check id3 tags? 

ID3 tags are bits of information attached to the music file. They contain metadata storing the artist, album, genre, track number and quite a few other bits of information. The Express uses the ID3 tags to sort the songs to allow playback by artist or album or genre, etc. Without the ID3 tags, the will read the file as “Unknown” or completely ignore the song.

Shown below is an image from Windows XP of a music file’s ID3 tags. In Windows XP you can get this information by right clicking on the song and checking the file’s “Properties”.

I assume that you can do something similar with a Mac. You should check the Apple website for how to access and edit the tags. The Express uses ID3 v2 tags. Make sure that your program uses ID3 v2.

You can read more about ID3 tags in the attached link.

http://www.id3.org/ID3v2Easy

@elaine wrote:

I’m using a Mac, and I’ve noticed when I plug my player in with a microSD card in, sometimes the computer recognizes 2 separate drives (internal and microSD card), but sometimes only one or the other. Any ideas? So far, it hasn’t been a huge problem. I just put the device away and remount it, maybe removing (and reinserting) the card, etc.

You should be getting two different drives when you have a card inserted in the Express. I know little about Macs, but I believe that you need to mount and unmount each drive individually. If that is not working for you, then you should skip using the card in the Express and buy a card reader.

I assume that you do not have MTP drivers installed on your Mac so your Express is connecting in MSC mode anyway. You are not getting any different features whether you use your micro SD card in the Express or in a card reader.