SD Card Error, Missing Letters...

If someone has already posted a problem like this one, I’m sorry.

Okay, I ordered a 2GB SD card for my Express. It’s made by SanDisk, so we didn’t think there would be any problems. So I put the card in, turn the player on and waited 20 minutes for it to find the SD card and make a database. When it comes to the main menu, it’s almost totally black. When it brings up “Music” on the menu, it shows as “Usi.” All of the song titles have a letter missing. (For example, I was just listening to “Ole otta ove by Ed Epplin” :D) When I take out the SD card and start it, then everything is back to normal. So, it’s something to do with the SD. Any ideas on how to bring the letters back?

@zarya wrote:

If someone has already posted a problem like this one, I’m sorry.

Okay, I ordered a 2GB SD card for my Express. It’s made by SanDisk, so we didn’t think there would be any problems. So I put the card in, turn the player on and waited 20 minutes for it to find the SD card and make a database. When it comes to the main menu, it’s almost totally black. When it brings up “Music” on the menu, it shows as “Usi.” All of the song titles have a letter missing. (For example, I was just listening to “Ole otta ove by Ed Epplin” :D) When I take out the SD card and start it, then everything is back to normal. So, it’s something to do with the SD. Any ideas on how to bring the letters back?

The Express gets its artist , album, title and genre information from the songs ID3 Tags. So while your song’s filename may be ok, the ID3 tags may be incorrect. For whatever reason, occasionally these tags become corrupted during file transfer.

Check the ID3 tags on the songs while they are on your computer before transferring them to the Express. Right click on the music file then go to Properties/Summary/(If you see an “Advanced” button click that too.) A display box should show a summary of the music file info. It should list the Artist/Album Title/Year/Track Number and Genre.

If the songs have the correct ID3 tags, then the songs should be ok. Try transferring the songs again.

Format your card using a card reader. Format to FAT 32. Drag your songs to the micro SD card while it is in the card reader. Then insert the card into the Express and turn the Express on. It takes about 10 - 20 seconds for my Express to read a 2 gB card.

I have had better success placing songs on the micro SD card with this method rather than transferring songs with the micro SD card in the Express.

Mr_Moose wrote:

Check the ID3 tags on the songs while they are on your computer before transferring them to the Express. Right click on the music file then go to Properties/Summary/(If you see an “Advanced” button click that too.) A display box should show a summary of the music file info. It should list the Artist/Album Title/Year/Track Number and Genre.

If the songs have the correct ID3 tags, then the songs should be ok. Try transferring the songs again.

It doesn’t appear to be anything to do with the ID3 tags.
As the OP stated, even the menus look screwed up, so its not just affecting the tracks themselves.

Here’s how I fixed mine… well, for now at least?

With the Micro SD card ejected (mine is also a 2GB Sandisk brand) the menus and internal music appear fine on the screen. Prior to my fix, I had been booting up with the SD card ejected (display would be working), then powering off, inserting the SD card, then powering on again (display would then be corrupted).

Next I decided to plug the SD card back into the player while it was still powered on (and displaying properly). It did it’s normal import of the SD card music into the player’s database, and all remained appearing ok. I then powered off and back on again, and it still appears to be working fine.

As I’m not sure what caused the issue it in the first place, I’m not sure how long it will be ok, but it has been a few days now.

I couldn’t really find much more info on this issue other than this thread, so hopefully what I’ve written will help someone?

I had the exact same problem and doing the hard reset did not work. I followed your steps and it works!

1. Turn off

2. Remove sd card

3. Turn on - menu is fine

4. Insert sd card - menu is fine

5. Turning off and back on - menu is still fine

Thank you!!!