SD Card not recognized. 'Seating' issue?

I (foolishly) bought a refurbished Clip+ a few weeks ago.  I bought an SD card for it, tested it, and it worked fine.  Now, a few days later, I loaded a few more songs onto the SD card, loaded it into the Clip+, and…Nada.  I tried another card (that had worked fine before) and again…Nada.  The only way either card is recognized by the Clip+ is if I push it in and hold it in place using the tip of my fingernail!   If I just insert it ‘correctly’ (after hearing the two clicks) and leave it inserted…Nada.

I’m guessing I’m screwed on this one since this refurbished unit had only a 14-day warranty.  Be warned if you are considering a refurbished Clip, this may happen to you.

At least the Clip+ works otherwise.  I just don’t have the SD card prospects now.  I’m a bit disappointed, but I’ll survive.

If anyone DOES have some solution–besides me using my fingernail as a constant ‘seating device’ (not interested in the job ;), please let me know.  Thanks!

@ryant wrote:

I’m guessing I’m screwed on this one since this refurbished unit had only a 14-day warranty.  Be warned if you are considering a refurbished Clip, this may happen to you.

Buying anything refurbished is a gamble. When buying new, you have a manufacturer’s warranty. But you might contact the dealer anyway and explain that you didn’t have the opportunity to test the card slot before the 14 days were up; they might allow a return on it.

Mine is brand new and won’t stay inside the machine. But I’ve only tried it a few times. Is there a knack to it?

MicroSD slots always have a little spring. You push the card in, the spring catches it and CLICKS and it’s locked in. Then to get it out, you push it  IN to unlock it,  and it springs out. 

Make sure the card is positioned right… The manufacturer’s name should face the front of the clip. The straight edge of the card faces the bottom of the Clip and the uneven, notched edge of the card faces the top. Which means the manufacturer’s name will probably be upside-down–at least, it is on SanDisk cards. 

The card should go in smoothly, with some pressure pushing back at you from the spring, until it catches and locks in. If it’s not going in the slot, it’s not positioned right. But you do have to push until the spring catches it. 

1 Like

Never mind. Pushed it in with fingernail and stayed there this time. I guess you’ve got to really get it in there, eh? It’s refreshing now… we’ll see… yup. works. Glad I stopped in!

Thanks, buddy!