SansaClip 2G Has Quit Working

Hi , I have 3 Sansa Clips purchased in 2008. A 1, 2, and 8 GB. Do not have heavy usage except maybe the 2 GB. A few weeks ago it seemed to quit but after charging was OK again. Today it wont come on, if I hold the switch for a minute or try to charge it still does not come on.

Is it no good now or is there some way to revive it without having to discard or use the others, which are also old? Does the battery wear out, or is the clip just out of useful life? If battery, can it be replaced, is it worth it, or best just to discard as no good?

I do have the music files backed up so dont need it to retrieve files…only to use.

If you are referring to the orginal Clip (with the round scroll wheel), there was a common problem with the solder joints connecting the wires to the battery failing. That could be what’s going on here.

They can be re-soldered, if you want to try and pry the casing apart and you’re handy with a small-tipped soldering iron. I beleive you can find photos & instructions on disassembly of the Clip over at the Anythingbutipod forum.

Funny. After it sat idle for awhile I picked it up and found it came on but battery way down. Thought maybe it just needed recharge. Connected it to computer for awhile, copied the music folder to PC, and charged it on PC and then on a plug in USB charge adapter. Works fine now. Maybe a loose connection. I did look on the forums and found info on taking it apart. I do not understand how a wire can come loose inside a clip though. If handled carefully.

If I am sure it wont work, and Im sure that time will come, I will get a sharp strong knife and try to pry it apart and take a look. I do have small electronics soldering iron if needed. Just tried it again and still works and fully charged. Maybe the switch is loose or something. Strange.

I just hope that this is still under warranty for you but you can always check if a replacement can be given in this situation.

@sauberlime wrote:

I just hope that this is still under warranty for you but you can always check if a replacement can be given in this situation.

Purchased in 2008? No, it won’t still under warranty.

@bbrev7 wrote:

Funny. After it sat idle for awhile I picked it up and found it came on but battery way down. Thought maybe it just needed recharge. Connected it to computer for awhile, copied the music folder to PC, and charged it on PC and then on a plug in USB charge adapter. Works fine now. Maybe a loose connection. I did look on the forums and found info on taking it apart. I do not understand how a wire can come loose inside a clip though. If handled carefully.

If I am sure it wont work, and Im sure that time will come, I will get a sharp strong knife and try to pry it apart and take a look. I do have small electronics soldering iron if needed. Just tried it again and still works and fully charged. Maybe the switch is loose or something. Strange.

I imagine that a bump, etc, could cause a loose wire to finally come undone.  Also, note that conductive glue also can be used to fix the loose/detached wire.