Sansa Rhapsody e260r forgets settings when I turn it off

Hi,

I have a Sansa Rhapsody e260r.  To make more space for songs I had someone at Sansa or Best Buy unload the huge Rhapsody software on the MP3 player. 

Everything worked fine until some months ago when the firmware updated. 

Now the MP3 player forgets settings like “shuffle” option, and it forgets which songs I already listened to when I turn it off and turn it back on.

The firmware often tries to update when I add songs, but it seems to fail to update or fix the problem.

What can I do?

I believe there’s a small watch-style (“button”) battery inside the player that keeps the settings stored in RAM.  If the battery dies, the RAM is erased every time the player is shut off, losing the settings. If you’re comfortable doing such things, you could take the player apart and change the battery.

Thanks you so much for this reply.  I took off the 4 screws on the back and then took off 4 more screw holding the faceplate on, and then used my fingernail to pry off the faceplate and found the watchlike battery.  It has 2.8 v left in it so it’s probably dead.  I’ve had it for about 4-5 years. 

Unfortunately the leads to the battery are tack welded to the battery so it looks like you need to buy a battery that has these leads on the battery, and then you have to melt the solder holding the leads to the board, and re-solder the new battery leads in place.

I can do all that but I don’t know where to buy the battery.  Most of the battery is covered by the flat wide leads but I can see the following on the battery:

MS6  |     |  +

The letters in between the |    | are covered with the flat wide leads that appear tack welded to the battery in 3 places, both on the top and bottom.

Any idea where I could buy such a battery?  I’ve searched on Google, so far nothing.  Batteries plus does not have anything like it.

Thanks again for your help!

I’ve heard that is a capacitor, not a battery so it may not be easy to find.

It looks like a battery, and it has a “+” sign on one side of it.   Maybe it is a battery?