mp3 4g e260r memoryloss problem

my friend has the e26or 4g rapsody sansa sandisk mp3 player.  for a long time his memory is full on it even though he apparently only using just under 6mb on his files.  i just moved over the 6mb and formatted his player.  it still showing around 3/4 memory used with nothing on it.  i also took the battery out just a few minutes ago.  so i am wondering what should be done to get his memory back. update firmware?  any help greatly apprciated ty john

@vegasj wrote:

my friend has the e26or 4g rapsody sansa sandisk mp3 player.  for a long time his memory is full on it even though he apparently only using just under 6mb on his files.  i just moved over the 6mb and formatted his player.  it still showing around 3/4 memory used with nothing on it.   i also took the battery out just a few minutes ago.  so i am wondering what should be done to get his memory back. update firmware?  any help greatly apprciated ty john

Formating will erase all user-added content and optimize the memory clusters, essentially giving you a clean slate from which to start over. If the player is still showing 3/4 of the memory used and unavailable, then something went awry with the format. How exactly did you do it?

i formated it by right clicking the my computer and finding the device bar.  it gives me four options.  open , open in new window, format, and properties.as it is formating it says its formating ppi nand.  it does recongnize in previous screen its a sansa e260R. 

i left battery out all night put it in and still most memory is used.  i formatted it again and it shows version 1.0.2.165 , memory 3807mb. free 889 mb, songs 0, voice recordings 0, fm recordings 0.  . ty

Try this.