e260 formatting trouble

The techs at Sandisk finally gave up and said the player is not recoverable and beyond warrantee. This one may be my bad. My grand-daughters e260 Ver.1 was acting up (several bad files from unknown sources). I tried to format it with the same download that I had reformatted my own e280R (with Rhapsody)(I thought they were all the same for formatting). Evidently this download just messed it up worse. Now when I put the e260 in MSC mode, it doesn’t stay there. If you put it in MSC mode and then shut it off and restart it, it allways restarts in MTP mode. The player allways starts up on the same “bad file” song in the “songs” folder, no matter what song, and no matter what playlist you shut it off on. I am not able to format using the ‘right click on in My Computer and then left click on format’ method, it will run for a few seconds and then say “devise unable to format”.  When I try to format thru the Disc Management screen, it will go from 1% to 100% formatted, but then when I disconnect, all the files will still be on there. Also when I connect the player with Windows Media Player (ver 10), it starts to syncronize and then freezes up at 1% syncronized.

Applies to v1 model only…

1. Download this file: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/e200/e200v101.02.24a.zip

2. Extract the contents to a folder where you’ll be able to find them later

3. Turn off player

4. Push HOLD button to locked position (towards headphone jack)

5. Press and hold the RECORD button

6. Connect to PC

7. When you see MSD 2.0 Connected or some such, you can let go of the RECORD button

8. Open My Computer

9. Locate and open 16MB-FORMAT drive.

10. Drag and drop the files you extracted in Step 2 above to the root directory of 16MB-FORMAT

11. Create a new folder in 16MB-FORMAT’s root directory and name it sansa.fmt

12. Use Safely Remove Hardware Icon in system tray or right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and select Eject.

13. Disconnect from PC

14. Cross fingers and whisper a prayer to the gods of digital audio players

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT DRIVE!!

When I disconnect it says “formatting…” on the player and then it says something about upgrade finished but when it restarts all the old files (including the bad ones) are still on there. I’ve tried 3 times but to no avail.

Thanks anyway, but I’m thinking of giving up and getting her a Nano.

Have you tried formatting in MTP mode using WMP?  I have my doubts if it will work, but maybe it will give a different, more detailed error message. 

I suspect you might have a bad memory module.  (I refer to internal flash memory, not to be confused with the microSD card.)  The memory module is located inside the player on a daughterboard next to, and partially covering, the headphone jack.  It is very easy to replace once you get the player disassembled since it just pops out of its socket.  (Who knows?  Maybe popping yours out and popping it back in will fix the problem?  I doubt it, but I had a computer that wouldn’t boot one time and I was able to fix it just by mashing in on the memory chips that plugged directly into the motherboard.)  The best way to get a replacement memory module would be to buy a defective unit on eBay and scavenge it for parts.  You can typically get the busted LCD models very cheap (less than $10 shipped).  Of course, I could be wrong and the problem might be something else altogether in which case you will have wasted $10.  Note that any of the memory modules on any of the v1 or Rhapsody modules will be interchangeable.  That is, if you can find an e280v1 with a busted LCD you could get the 8GB memory out of it and use it in your e260.  I did that with an e250 that I put the memory from and e260 into and upgraded it to 4GB.  The computer sees the player as an e260 now.  My understanding is the v2 models do not have the removable memory module, so be sure not to get a v2 model for replacement parts for your player if you decide to go that route.

Yea, I tried to format using WMP a few days ago when I figured out the player wouldn’t go into MSC mode. It didn’t work. The player won’t sync with WMP either. It starts to, then crashes after 1% syncronized. I’ve never had the back off but at this point I’m willing to try. I’m probably just going to junk it anyway. Thanks for your help regardless.

I am having a similar problem with my v1 e260.  I currently have firmware 1.0.18A.  I have tried formatting in and out of recovery mode, including in WMP.  I tried the above instructions, but the player stalls at “writing main image”.  If I force it off and back on, it returns to its original state, with bad files intact and the same firmware.  I will try reseating the memory, but is there anything else I can try?

@bigred7 wrote:
Yea, I tried to format using WMP a few days ago when I figured out the player wouldn’t go into MSC mode. It didn’t work. The player won’t sync with WMP either. It starts to, then crashes after 1% syncronized. I’ve never had the back off but at this point I’m willing to try. I’m probably just going to junk it anyway. Thanks for your help regardless.

Run check disc, then try formatting again.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thread.id=91

@dunechild wrote:
I am having a similar problem with my v1 e260.  I currently have firmware 1.0.18A.  I have tried formatting in and out of recovery mode, including in WMP.  I tried the above instructions, but the player stalls at “writing main image”.  If I force it off and back on, it returns to its original state, with bad files intact and the same firmware.  I will try reseating the memory, but is there anything else I can try?

Your player needs a firmware update. Download and unzip the firmware from the attached thread. Load it in Recovery Mode. Include the “sansa.fmt” file when you do this.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&thread.id=15209

Message Edited by Mr_Moose on 07-05-2008 06:29 AM

Yes, these were the steps I tried, but my player simply stalls at “writing main image”.  I can leave this for hours and it will never finish.  Forcing the power off and back on will simply return me to the same state as before.  I am unable to run the gui chkdsk, command prompt chkdsk reports that it fixed errors, but the same errors exist no matter how many times you run it.  Attempting to format the drive from gui or command prompt reports “Windows unable to complete the format” or “Track 0 bad - disk unusable”.

I have a feeling my flash module is bad, any other ideas?

"Applies to v1 model only…

1. Download this file: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/e200/e200v101.02.24a.zip

2. Extract the contents to a folder where you’ll be able to find them later

3. Turn off player

4. Push HOLD button to locked position (towards headphone jack)

5. Press and hold the RECORD button

6. Connect to PC

7. When you see MSD 2.0 Connected or some such, you can let go of the RECORD button

8. Open My Computer

9. Locate and open 16MB-FORMAT drive.

10. Drag and drop the files you extracted in Step 2 above to the root directory of 16MB-FORMAT

11. Create a new folder in 16MB-FORMAT’s root directory and name it sansa.fmt

12. Use Safely Remove Hardware Icon in system tray or right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and select Eject.

13. Disconnect from PC

14. Cross fingers and whisper a prayer to the gods of digital audio players

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT DRIVE!!"

Hi, I tried and it worked. I added music and it worked good. After a while I tried to add more music, but I made a mistake adding the files and I got locked again. So, I did the same again and now it is up. Thanks anyway, I’m thinking about buying an Ipod Touch from Apple, it is better, windows based and looks better. bye.

It may be difficult for a moment but when you get used to it, it will be much easier and there are a lot of work arounds. :wink:

@themarkster wrote:

1. Extract the contents to a folder where you’ll be able to find them later
  1. Turn off player
  1. Push HOLD button to locked position (towards headphone jack)
  1. Press and hold the RECORD button
  1. Connect to PC
  1. When you see MSD 2.0 Connected or some such, you can let go of the RECORD button
  1. Open My Computer
  1. Locate and open 16MB-FORMAT drive.
  1. Drag and drop the files you extracted in Step 2 above to the root directory of 16MB-FORMAT
  1. Create a new folder in 16MB-FORMAT’s root directory and name it sansa.fmt
  1. Use Safely Remove Hardware Icon in system tray or right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and select Eject.
  1. Disconnect from PC
  1. Cross fingers and whisper a prayer to the gods of digital audio players

This works with one simple change to step 11)

You should create a new FILE named sansa.fmt , not a folder.  See  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&thread.id=913 for some clarification and the easiest way to create this blank file.

My sansa e250 v1 had developed some corrupt files and ended up freezing on the “refreshing database” screen. 
I was just able to format and reinstall the firmware on my e250 using this above method, seems to have worked like a charm for the time being. I haven’t tried loading new music yet, but everything looks proper.  All corrupt files seem to have been erased, and the new firmware installed. 

Thanks!

Message Edited by Reserve420 on 11-05-2009 04:15 AM

Actually, the latest and greatest with (Step 11) is to use a _blank folder, renamed sansa.fmt _ in place of the original file method.  For testing, I had always had a format file sitting on the desktop for nuking the v1.

Out of curiosity, trying a folder worked beautifully.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

One conclusion I’ve come to, based on limited experience, is that one should only go into recovery mode (if one has access to the USB Settings ) with the USB set to MTP. Even on my Mac , which doesn’t have MTP , recovery mode works when the SANSA is in MTP mode. I don’t remember exactly what happened when I put it into recovery mode with MSC USB (without actually doing anything in that mode) except that my e280 afterwards couldn’t connect anymore in MSC. If I plugged it in while set for MSC , it would show the Connected screen for a few seconds, then go to a variant of the same screen with the word Disconnected instead (and no arrows).

I had to put it in MTP , then into recovery mode, reformat, put it into recovery mode again, and reinstall the firmware. Now it connects again in MSC mode.

Incidentally, another e280 v.1 that I had gotten (used) came in that state of not being able to connect in USB mode, and I managed to get it out of it in the same way. So I had a head start in solving the problem when I created it again by my experiment on a second e280. (The one I was experimenting on has a bad headset connector and other physical defects, so I didn’t mind risking bricking it, especially since I could always recover the 8GB daughter card and the battery.)

@themarkster wrote:

1. Extract the contents to a folder where you’ll be able to find them later
  1. Turn off player
  1. Push HOLD button to locked position (towards headphone jack)
  1. Press and hold the RECORD button
  1. Connect to PC
  1. When you see MSD 2.0 Connected or some such, you can let go of the RECORD button
  1. Open My Computer

9) Locate and open 16MB-FORMAT drive.

10) Drag and drop the files you extracted in Step 2 above to the root directory of 16MB-FORMAT

11) Create a new folder in 16MB-FORMAT’s root directory and name it sansa.fmt

1. Use Safely Remove Hardware Icon in system tray or right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and select Eject.
  1. Disconnect from PC
  1. Cross fingers and whisper a prayer to the gods of digital audio players

I just noticed that instructions 9 to 11, emphasized by me in green, imply doing the reformatting and firmware reinstallation in the same connection session. I hadn’t thought of that or, if I did, didn’t want to risk trying it. Presumably it works or you wouldn’t have posted the instructions as you did, but please verify for the record that my interpretation is correct.

Also, any comment based on actual experience regarding whether to put the Sansa into MTP mode before going into recovery mode, as I suggested in my previous comment, would be appreciated. 

Message Edited by aarons510 on 12-06-2009 12:07 AM

I KNOW this is an old thread…but I gotta give TheMarkster his props.

I use my SanDisk e260 to record class lectures. Noticed about 3-4 weeks ago that I was running out of space. Took all the songs/photos/.wav lectures off & tried to reformat the “usual” way. No go. According to all of the files, I only used about 1.5g of the 4g, but the “info” on the player said that I used over 3.5, with less than 40mb space left. Repeated tries to reformat did absolutely nothing. I googled and found this forum. Did all the steps in his first post-allowing for conversion to Mac’s protocol (I use Apple computers). Player back to normal. THANKS themarkster for helping me fix this thing. :smileyvery-happy: