Sansa Fuze with a 16 gb micro sd card - questions

Hello,

I’d like to know about your experiences with a 16 gb micro sd card used with an 8 gb Sansa Fuze. I’m considering buying one- it would be cool to have 24 gb of storage in such a small piece of hardware. Are there any cons of using a card this large? I’m particularly interested in the time needed to refresh after each connection. Without any card, it takes about a minute for the Fuze to reload the library (even if I change a single file only, sometimes even if I don’t alter the files at all). How much will it take with a microsd filled with 16 gb of data? Also, there is no protection against the card being ejected accidentally (the only complaint I have about Sansa Fuze) - does this happen often if you’re caring the player e.g. in your pocket?

Also, are there any visible differances between different brands of sd cards? I’m considering a SanDisk card and one made by Kingston. The latter seems better because it also has an SD adapter. But if SanDisk’s card is faster or more reliable than I will take it.

Thanks for your help! 

Are you kidding? All discussed & answered before. In fact, I replied to a newbie just yesterday on one of these issues, so it shouldn’t be hard to find.

The Search function will find the others. C’mon Riven , you’ve got 51 posts, not 1. You know that. :wink:

Tapeworm, agreed. I have a sandisk 16 gb card in mine and love it.

Very happy with mine :smiley:

Lee

Tapeworm wrote: you’ve got 51 posts :wink:

That’s one day for some people. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I loaded up my 24gb sansa the other day it took an hour to refresh. A major pain, but I now have every song on my computer put on to my sansa, which is 280 hours of music. So I don’t need to do this again. Now when I add some music (for I still have 8gb left to fill) I don’t know if I will go through this ordeal again.

Hi Tapeworm,

Agreed many questions have been asked and answered. I always try to see if one of my questions was asked before, but sometimes it’s a daunting task. Right now I’m trying to find out if I can make a playlist of playlists. A search of “playlist” brings up 64 pages, each with about 10 (often totally irrelevent) messages. That’s a lot to wade through but I’ll keep going.

I’ve noticed there are moderators here, and there is an FAQ. FAQs are usually where I start looking. Unfortunately the FAQ doesn’t cover a lot of ground. Maybe from time to time a moderator could add some of the solved questions to the FAQ.

That said I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying. 

@siclmn wrote:
When I loaded up my 24gb sansa the other day it took an hour to refresh. …

My 24gb Fuze refreshes in just a few minutes – a little long, but far from intolerable. Don’t know why it take your’s an hour. Perhaps you have some tagging problems that cause the player to hang or slow down while trying to read your files.

Dear Tapeworm, 

could you then direct me to the threads in which similar questions have been answered? Well, anyway, I don’t think this one will harm anyone :).

As far as I can see from the posts that appeared so far, there are major differances in refresh time. Why is it so? Can something be done to prevent such a situation? I don’t mind waiting a few minutes after a reload, but if it would turn out that I had to wait for an hour (wow!) then I’m gonna save this money and buy some cds…

Regards 

@robisan wrote:

@siclmn wrote:
When I loaded up my 24gb sansa the other day it took an hour to refresh. …

My 24gb Fuze refreshes in just a few minutes – a little long, but far from intolerable. Don’t know why it take your’s an hour. Perhaps you have some tagging problems that cause the player to hang or slow down while trying to read your files.

It could be a difference of bitrate…refresh time is more related to total number of files than to their size. If they had 128kbps and you had 256kbps, but the same amount of memory used, yours would refresh faster.

I mostly listen to mp3s in 320kbps, I also have some albums in FLAC. What reload times can I expect if I fill the entire 24 gbs ? It really is a crucial thing.

I also occasionally use the Fuze as a storage device (with 24 gbs that would be one awesome storage device!) , will it get extremely long to refresh if I put multiple , smaller files? 

Message Edited by Riven on 08-11-2009 11:51 PM

@riven wrote:

I mostly listen to mp3s in 320kbps, I also have some albums in FLAC. What reload times can I expect if I fill the entire 24 gbs ? It really is a crucial thing.

I also occasionally use the Fuze as a storage device (with 24 gbs that would be one awesome storage device!) , will it get extremely long to refresh if I put multiple , smaller files? 

Message Edited by Riven on 08-11-2009 11:51 PM

My 4GB with 8GB card, with the latest firmware, takes around 3 minutes to refresh, but that’s with around 1,500 songs. Beyond that, I really couldn’t hazard a guess.

Well, that’s why I posted this thread :). 24 gb is really a lot of data after all. I’d be particularly grateful to hear about this matter from someone from the Sansa staff, because as I can see, there are significant differances between similar devices.

Regards 

I have a class 2 sandisk 16gb card in my 8gb fuse - and it’s almost completely full (140mb left).  Whenever I’ve needed a data base refresh - it’s taken no more than a couple minutes.

To be accurate - I connected my fuze, added a folder with a few files - disconnected, then timed the refresh with a stopwatch.  The refresh took 3 minutes, 4 seconds.  That’s for 2810 songs, almost everything 320kbps mp3.

Though I did that under protest - you should have posted this question under one of the dozens of other 16gb card threads instead of starting your own.

Message Edited by PolloLoco on 08-12-2009 07:35 AM

Message Edited by PolloLoco on 08-12-2009 07:36 AM

Thank you very much PolloLoco, I hope this will be the case with my SD Card as well. I’ll take the one made by Kingston as it has an sd adapter included.

Sorry for not noticing other threads , but the search results did not include the answers I wanted, at least not on the first few pages. 

@riven wrote:

Thank you very much PolloLoco, I hope this will be the case with my SD Card as well. I’ll take the one made by Kingston as it has an sd adapter included.

Sorry for not noticing other threads , but the search results did not include the answers I wanted, at least not on the first few pages. 

Remember, some people have had trouble with the Kingston cards…

@riven wrote:

SD adapter cards were included with every Sandisk card I ever purchased.  Knowing their inherent problems, I would avoid Kingston cards.  I figure if it says Sandisk on the device, it will work best with cards that also say Sandisk on them…:wink:

oh , too bad, cause i’ve just ordered a kingston card. well, I hope it won’t be that bad after all. what problems were you talking about?

hell, I can’t wait to receive it. 24 gbs of music , plus  the new firmware is great - Sansa rules!

Message Edited by Riven on 08-12-2009 09:41 AM

@riven wrote:

oh , too bad, cause i’ve just ordered a kingston card. well, I hope it won’t be that bad after all. what problems were you talking about?

hell, I can’t wait to receive it. 24 gbs of music , plus  the new firmware is great - Sansa rules!

Message Edited by Riven on 08-12-2009 09:41 AM

Kingston and video do not coexist. If you only use it for music, you might be ok. That actually applies to the Fuze in general…just use it for music and forget about video! :wink:

why is it so? just curious, cause I don’t use the Fuze to watch videos (mainly because of the tedious convertion process and problems with desynchronisation of audio and video)

@riven wrote:

why is it so? just curious, cause I don’t use the Fuze to watch videos (mainly because of the tedious convertion process and problems with desynchronisation of audio and video)

It’s like using Ford parts on a Chevy; some incompatibilities are going to arise.  It’s no matter; it’s been well documented that Kingston cards misbehave with video on the fuze