Sansa Fuze + Rhapsody to go

so here’s my sob story. . .

i just bought a 4GB sansa fuze @ bestbuy to replace the e200r that i lost on my last flight.  however, when i try to drag songs over to the device in the rhapsody client i get a message that it isn’t a subscription device (note: i’ve got a to go subscription and was able to transfer music to my previous device).  

to further complicate things, i’m actually using my folks pc (rather than my home pc since i’m in town visiting) and this machine is running Win2K pro w/WMP9.  i already authorized this PC at rhapsody.com and also updated the fuze’s firmware to .15.  

also, how do i get the rhapsody channels icon to show up?  

any thoughts?

thx,

jv

@javal1971 wrote:

so here’s my sob story. . .

@i just bought a 4GB sansa fuze @ bestbuy to replace the e200r that i lost on my last flight.  however, when i try to drag songs over to the device in the rhapsody client i get a message that it isn’t a subscription device (note: i’ve got a to go subscription and was able to transfer music to my previous device).  

to further complicate things, i’m actually using my folks pc (rather than my home pc since i’m in town visiting) and this machine is running Win2K pro w/WMP9.  i already authorized this PC at rhapsody.com and also updated the fuze’s firmware to .15.  

also, how do i get the rhapsody channels icon to show up?  

any thoughts?

thx,

jv

forgot to mention that the fuze shows up as removable disk (e:) in the rhap client, as USB mass storage device in device manager > universal serial bus controllers and (finally) as SanDisk Sansa Fuze 4DB USB Device in device manager > Disk drives.  right clicking it in the rhap client doesn’t show any option to authorize.  

As you’ve discovered, Rhapsody requires Windows Media Player 10 as a minimum for DRM transfers.  MTP mode is needed to authorize your player with Rhapsody.  With a Sansa Rhapsody e200 player, the RAX format license involves the device, allowing subscription transfer without MTP (also known as Plays For Sure mode).

The new generation Sansas are RhapPFS devices, meaning that once authorized with Rhapsody, you’ll have the cool Channels function available.

One last quirk, and this involves the WMRDM system:  You can authorize three PCs with your Rhapsody account. To Go transfers from each PC can only be relicensed from that same PC.  Essentially, if you’re travelling, and authorize on a relative’s computer for example, those songs will expire in 30 days unless the Sansa is plugged into the same PC that the songs were originally transferred from.

This isn’t Rhapsody’s design, it’s the WMDRM design.  You can run into this issue if you have Rhapsody on a PC at home, and at work, or even if you have several PCs on a network at home.  The synchronization has to happen on the same PC as transferred, or the tracks will expire.  The workaround is to move the PC, as in, use a portable laptop.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 11-05-2008 07:50 AM

Thanks for the information. I think that is why I can’t get rid of the message that my licenses have expired, even though I’ve formatted the player. I had a work computer that I used to transfer ToGo tracks, but I no longer have access to it. Is there a way to make that message go away?