Sansa Fuze plays with Black Screen

My screen is completely black and there is no light around my dial. The usual start up/shut down display doesn’t even appear. I’ve tried resetting it and still have a black display. How do I go about updating or formatting my SansaFuze? And is it possible to this when I can’t see anything on the screen and the only way that I can tell if it’s even on is if I have speakers or headphones plugged in?

Check that link, I think that’s the one that you’re looking for. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-crashed-blank-screen-won-t-turn-on-did-not-get-wet/m-p/153004#M32122

Can you play your music? If not, perhaps the device froze during shutdown the last time you used it. One way to test this is to start pluggin and unpluggin your headphones. If you hear a faint pop sound, the device is still running.

I would try resetting it. If that fails, the only other thing you can to is let it sit for a day or two, at which point, the battery will die. Bbefore you recharge it, repeat the above to make sure it’s off (or else it will take longer to die).

As for updating, you don’t need a screen to do so, since most of the work is done from the computer. Move the power switch to the hold positoin, and hold down either the << button or the middle button (either one will do), while plugging the device in. You can find download firmware from HERE, as well as instructions on how to install it manually (don’t use the updater,  since there won’t be any updates for this device, hence its a little more than a waste of time). Once the device is unplugged, the update should take no more than two minutes (probably less).

Please note: you need to know which firmware revision you have in order to know which firmware version to update. If you have a revision 1 Fuze, you’ll need to download the 01.02.31 version. If you have a revision 2 device, 02.03.33. If you don’t know which revision your device is, perhaps Rockbox Utility can help. With your device connected, launch the Utility. If you get a message saying something about a bad configuration, click OK, and select “Autodetect”. If you don’t get this message, press the “change” button in the upper right, and select “Autodetect”.If you have a Revision 1 device, “Sansa Fuze” should be selected.If you have a Revision 2 device, “Sansa Fuze V2” should be selected.

Grr! I wrote a semi-long instructional post on here, but it’s dissappeared! I guess I’ll have to start from scratch.

Your device might have frozen itself the last time you shut it down. I would start plugging and unpluggin my headphones to see if you hear a faint popping sound. If you do, then you you know the device is technically powered on. I would try holding the power button in the off position for at least thirty seconds to see if the device powers off. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to wait for the battery to die (which could take a few days).

If you want to reinstall the fimrware, you don’t really need the screen to do so (since most of the work is done through your computer). Start by placing your power switch in the “hold” position. Then, while holding down either the << button, or the middle button (either one will do), connect the device. Download your firmware from HERE, and extract the zip file to the root directory of your device. By the way, if you have the latest firmware, don’t bother with the automatic update method mentioned on the above link, as it won’t install the firmware unless it detect an older verion of the firmware than what you have. Also, since the last update was so long ago, it’s pretty safe to say there won’t be any new updates in the future. Therefore, it’s probably best to use the manual method.

Please note: unless you’ve opted for the automatic method, you will need to know which hardware revision your device has: v1, or v2. If you have a v1 device, install the 1.x firmware, if you have a v2 device, install the 2.x firmware. If you don’t know which revision you have, you can find out using the Rockbox Utility (you’ll need to connect your player to do this). If when you launch Rockbox Utility, you get an error saying something about your configuration, click OK. Then, in the next dialog box, press the “Autodetect” button on the bottom. If you don’t get the error message, you can get to the above dialogue box by clicking the “Change” button in the top right corner (followed by the “Autodetect” button). If you have a v1, “Sansa Fuze (Stable)” should be selected. If you have a v2, “Sansa Fuze V2 (Stable)” should be selected.

Good luck!

Grr! I wrote a semi-long instructional post on here, but it’s dissappeared! I guess I’ll have to start from scratch.

Your device might have frozen itself the last time you shut it down. I would start plugging and unpluggin my headphones to see if you hear a faint popping sound. If you do, then you you know the device is technically powered on. I would try holding the power button in the off position for at least thirty seconds to see if the device powers off. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to wait for the battery to die (which could take a few days).

If you want to reinstall the fimrware, you don’t really need the screen to do so (since most of the work is done through your computer). Start by placing your power switch in the “hold” position. Then, while holding down either the << button, or the middle button (either one will do), connect the device. Download your firmware from HERE, and extract the zip file to the root directory of your device. By the way, if you have the latest firmware, don’t bother with the automatic update method mentioned on the above link, as it won’t install the firmware unless it detect an older verion of the firmware than what you have. Also, since the last update was so long ago, it’s pretty safe to say there won’t be any new updates in the future. Therefore, it’s probably best to use the manual method.

Please note: unless you’ve opted for the automatic method, you will need to know which hardware revision your device has: v1, or v2. If you have a v1 device, install the 1.x firmware, if you have a v2 device, install the 2.x firmware. If you don’t know which revision you have, you can find out using the Rockbox Utility (you’ll need to connect your player to do this). If when you launch Rockbox Utility, you get an error saying something about your configuration, click OK. Then, in the next dialog box, press the “Autodetect” button on the bottom. If you don’t get the error message, you can get to the above dialogue box by clicking the “Change” button in the top right corner (followed by the “Autodetect” button). If you have a v1, “Sansa Fuze (Stable)” should be selected. If you have a v2, “Sansa Fuze V2 (Stable)” should be selected.

Good luck!

Your device might have frozen itself the last time you shut it down. I would start plugging and unpluggin my headphones to see if you hear a faint popping sound. If you do, then you you know the device is technically powered on. I would try holding the power button in the off position for at least thirty seconds to see if the device powers off. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to wait for the battery to die (which could take a few  days).

Good luck!

Good luck!!!

@halonachos117 wrote:

Can you play your music?

I think if you re-read the OP’s Subject and post you’ll see that it does play. :confounded:

Um… Oops!

Smiley