Sansa Fuze neither powers up nor shows up as a USB device !!! :(

Hi,

I needed to format a micro SD card for my phone. I did not have a card reader, so I put it onto the fuze and then formatted it as FAT32 on linux using gparted. Now, I not able to turn the device on neither am I able to see it as a USB device on my computer. There is nothing shown on the screen, and I can’t access the internal storage… What do I do ??? Please help me.

Sounds like you somehow let Linux loose on the internal memory.

But see if all is not lost.

First, have you removed any microSD card? Make sure the slot is empty.

To force the MSC connection, leave the unit off and slide the power switch down into the Hold position. You’ll see a dot in the slot.

Connect the cord to the computer. Open the File Brower (or Nautilus or whatever it is in Linux). Hold down the << side of the wheel while connecting the Fuze connector. See if it wakes up and pops up in the file browser as two drives.

At that point, you might want to manually reinstall the firmware.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I tried what you suggested. But, nothing is happening. Its as if the device is not there. Nothing shows up on the screen or on the computer. Please help :frowning:

Borrow a Windows computer and try the same thing.

@varunbpatil wrote:

Hi,

I needed to format a micro SD card for my phone. I did not have a card reader, so I put it onto the fuze and then formatted it as FAT32 on linux using gparted. Now, I not able to turn the device on neither am I able to see it as a USB device on my computer. There is nothing shown on the screen, and I can’t access the internal storage… What do I do ??? Please help me.

FWIW I’ve formatted the internal memory as fat32 before and it doesn’t hurt the player at all. Are you sure this is all you did? That should be perfectly safe.

"varunbpatil wrote:

Hi,

I needed to format a micro SD card for my phone. I did not have a card reader, so I put it onto the fuze and then formatted it as FAT32 on linux using gparted. Now, I not able to turn the device on neither am I able to see it as a USB device on my computer. There is nothing shown on the screen, and I can’t access the internal storage… What do I do ??? Please help me."

Put the card back in the Fuze and connect the Fuze to your pc. delete all the files on the card. Take the card out and try it in your phone again.

Hi…

Got my sansa fuze back to life :slight_smile: finally. I really thought I had lost my beloved player. here is how I did it, and thanks for all the help on this forum.

1. put the device in hold (slide the switch down)

2. connect the usb cable to the computer

3. hold down << on fuze and connect the other end of the usb connector to the player.

voila… the device started automatically…

Problems I faced :

1. I tried this procedure on 64bit fedora --> did not work… device did not boot, nor did the embedded memory show up on the computer

2. same as above even on windows 7 64bit.

But then I tried the exact same procedure on Ubuntu 32 bit. It worked !!! miraculously, there was no corruption of the firmware or filesystem or anything. I was able to see all my songs and was able to play instantly… no problems at all.

Thanks,

Varun