Sansa Fuze - firmware will not update

The current firmware on my player is v1.02.31 and downloaded the newest version as linked to the top of the board. After downloading extracted it to a folder and dragged the bin file over to the root of the Fuze and nothing happens at all. I have tried this in MSC, MTP and auto USB settings and it makes no difference; the player accepts it as a file and no more.

The installer was tried but says there is no updates for the Fuze. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit in case this has anything to do with it.

@napple wrote:

The current firmware on my player is v1.02.31  

You have the most current version for your player.  There are V1 and V2 fuzes and they don’t use the exact same firmware version.

Ah, that explains why it didn’t work… Is there anything I can do to upgrade to experience the benefits of the newer firmware updates?

You have all the benefits of the firmware updates. The 2.x version is the same software for a different piece of hardware. It is not an upgrade of 1.x

Ah, so I’m stuck with it, thanks for all your help everyone. :slight_smile:

Stuck with it? Are you having problems? You could always install Rockbox from www.rockbox.org if you want to play with different firmware.

@napple wrote:

Ah, so I’m stuck with it, thanks for all your help everyone. :slight_smile:

I, for one don’t understand what exactly you think you’re ‘stuck with’. The v1 & v2 Fuze models operate exactly the same and have all the same features, options, functions, displays, bells & whistles, etc. In fact, you cannot tell the difference between the two unless you look at the firmware version on the Info screen of the Setting menu.

The only difference is some hardware inside which requires the 2 firmware versions. This is pretty commonplace. There was a v1 & v2 model of the e200 series, Clip and I believe the c200 as well before the Fuze came out.

@napple wrote:

Ah, so I’m stuck with it, thanks for all your help everyone.

I, for one don’t understand what exactly you think you’re ‘stuck with’. The v1 & v2 Fuze models operate exactly the same and have all the same features, options, functions, displays, bells & whistles, etc. In fact, you cannot tell the difference between the two unless you look at the firmware version on the Info screen of the Setting menu.

The only difference is some hardware inside which requires the 2 firmware versions. This is pretty commonplace. There was a v1 & v2 model of the e200 series, Clip and I believe the c200 as well before the Fuze came out.

Many people think the v1 is actually the superior Fuze.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Many people think the v1 is actually the superior Fuze.

Probably because for a long time, the v1’s were the only ones ported to Rockbox. They hadn’t cracked the v2’s yet.

Plus the fact that the majority of “White Screen Of Death” complaints seem to be coming from v2 owners.

What I would like to do with it is have the ability to integrate both the external and internal memory content into one file listing rather than have both in separate folders as that would make things a lot easier. Thanks for the link for Rockbox Black Rectangle, I’ll check it out.

@napple wrote:

What I would like to do with it is have the ability to integrate both the external and internal memory content into one file listing rather than have both in separate folders as that would make things a lot easier. Thanks for the link for Rockbox Black Rectangle, I’ll check it out.

if you’re using the Artist, Album, Song, etc. lists under the Music menu, your player (regardless) of version already does this. the lists are populated from both memory locations with the information gleaned from the ID3 tags embedded in the audio files.

It’s only when you navigate by ‘Folder’, that you have the 2 separate areas. The same will be true with Rockbox.

I see. THanks for your help, it’s most appreciated. :slight_smile: