Sansa Fuze 4GB won't work in any mode!

Hi everyone, I’ve read all of the posts on here and throughout the internet and am having a killer time getting my Fuze recognized.  I tried in Auto mode, I tried in MTP mode, I tried in MSC mode.  Nothing works, just says there’s a problem with the device.  I even tried uninstalling the USB host controller and rebooting, same problem.  I also tried uninstalling the host controller, going into windows/inf and deleting infcache, no dice.  I tried this on several machines…  Windows 2008 Server, Windows Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7 build 7068.  Hell, I even tried running it through a virtual box session running Windows XP SP3.  

Am I really going to be forced to format my whole laptop and install XP on it’s own 10 gig partition, just for something like this?  

I should mention that there was a short period that it works in windows 7, in fact I got it to actually upgrade the firmware.  I went to settings -> USB Mode -> picked MSC and I held down the middle button on the Fuze.  I then connected it to the laptop while holding the middle button and it upgraded the firmware.  After the firmware upgrade I have not been able to get it back to become recognized.  Very irritating

Any help would be extremely appreciated!!

@chambersnow wrote:

Hi everyone, I’ve read all of the posts on here and throughout the internet and am having a killer time getting my Fuze recognized.  I tried in Auto mode, I tried in MTP mode, I tried in MSC mode.  Nothing works, just says there’s a problem with the device.  I even tried uninstalling the USB host controller and rebooting, same problem.  I also tried uninstalling the host controller, going into windows/inf and deleting infcache, no dice.  I tried this on several machines…  Windows 2008 Server, Windows Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7 build 7068.  Hell, I even tried running it through a virtual box session running Windows XP SP3.  

Am I really going to be forced to format my whole laptop and install XP on it’s own 10 gig partition, just for something like this?  

I should mention that there was a short period that it works in windows 7, in fact I got it to actually upgrade the firmware.  I went to settings -> USB Mode -> picked MSC and I held down the middle button on the Fuze.  I then connected it to the laptop while holding the middle button and it upgraded the firmware.  After the firmware upgrade I have not been able to get it back to become recognized.  Very irritating

Any help would be extremely appreciated!!

Wow… I am not sure what to tell you. Windows 7 is still uncharted territory for me. I know that Server edt is buggy when it comes to this stuff. But it should have been fine with Ultimate. I run Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop and it works fine. Make sure you have Windows Media player 10 or 11 installed (for drivers only) nad if thats no help hit up Microsofts site for the MTP Porting kit. What is really weird is that the MSC mode dosent work. If you get MWP 11 or the porting kit installed and still nothing works, I would return it and get a new one, this could be a defect.

If it’s new, send it back and get it replaced. That shouldn’t be happening. 

If you are stuck with it, then it’s possible you just have a bad cord–something with an intermittent connection that worked for a moment with Windows 7.  You can get a replacement cord on Ebay or Amazon for about $5 if you want to experiment.  The same cord works with the E200 and the Fuze. 

Given all your experiments, I would be surprised if it’s a software problem. My guess is a connection isn’t being made somewhere–either in the cord or, a worse case, the USB port. 

Wow, I can’t believe that is actually just worked… in Windows 7 x64

Here’s how I did it;

New USB Cable
Different USB Port
Set the Fuze to MSC and put it on hold, plugged it in and no issues, just got done placing a bunch of songs on it

So, whatever above did it I don’t know but as long as this combo works I’m happy! Thanks again for the suggestions guys!!