Sansa Fuze 4GB problems

I am having a issues with my Fuze and wondering if these are related to firmware and will be fixed or if the unit is failing.

I have a Sansa Fuze v 1 with firmware V01.02.26A. I have a 8GB Sandisk Sd card.

I use the unit it the following way:

I listen to audio books and podcasts. 

* I listen to podcasts. I am using the new folder method. I have confirmed the issue occurs using the podcast method as well.

* After listening to one I delete it and move to the next. 

What occurs:

1 After listening to a few podcasts, the unit starts acting up. Screen goes blank, buttons do nothing and mp3 plays/stutters every 5 to 10 seconds for about a second. The only way to get it working again is to hold the power switch and restart the player. This causes a refresh (which takes a while). 

2 At times the pause button fails to pause. The screen shows pause, but the player keeps playing. When this occurs, the above is not far behind.

3 At times the device is playing and it just shuts off. I can not get it to start again. I need to hold the power button and reboot the unit. This may be related to #1 above.

1. At times I get popping while listening. Once the popping starts I know #1 is not too far from occuring.

What I have done:

I reformated both internal and external card as Fat via Windows not the device

I have reloaded the firmware and performed a reset factory settings

I have the unit set USB mode to MSC only.

Any one have ideas on what else to try? Is a firmware going to be made available to resolve these issues? Is it possible to get on a beta of the next firmware?

Next:

I will listen without deleting and see if the issues above occur. I have a feeling the deletions is causing some issue. 

I’ve found it’s better to just delete podcasts the next time you connect to the computer.

I listened to twice as many podcasts tonight, without deleting, them and it hasn’t crashed yet.

I, therefore, believe that what ever “refreshing your media” does when disconnecting from the computer, the Fuze can’t keep straight when deleting directly from the device. I could be wrong, but this is what it is looking like. 

I agree, delete when connected to the computer. 

I hope this can be fixed in the next firmware though.

@bchirgwin wrote:

I listened to twice as many podcasts tonight, without deleting, them and it hasn’t crashed yet.

I, therefore, believe that what ever “refreshing your media” does when disconnecting from the computer, the Fuze can’t keep straight when deleting directly from the device. I could be wrong, but this is what it is looking like. 

I agree, delete when connected to the computer. 

I hope this can be fixed in the next firmware though.

My solution, the last couple months, has been to use my 2GB Clip for my podcasts and leave the Fuze just for music. I can delete as I go on the Clip and the refresh is very fast because of the small memory. Obviously though, not everyone has more than one player.:wink:

Well, didn’t delete anything, but it locked up again.

Podcast starts poping, then freezes, screen goes blank and none of the buttons work. I need to hold the power button on to restart the Fuze. Then it does the refresh media, which takes a while. 

I didn’t delete files, just listened. I did load quite a bit more on the Fuze though.  4GB used on an 8GB card. Before I had only 2 GB. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

My solution, the last couple months, has been to use my 2GB Clip for my podcasts and leave the Fuze just for music. I can delete as I go on the Clip and the refresh is very fast because of the small memory. Obviously though, not everyone has more than one player.:wink:

No I don’t have a second player. I don’t listen to music on it, only podcast and audio books. Can’t afford another player. If it doesn’t work as advertised maybe Sandisk should include a second player, that works, in the box.:slight_smile:

Again, I hope the next firmware is released soon that can resolve the issue.