Fuze Suddenly Shuts Down then Refreshess when Powered Up

I recently started having a problem with my 8GB Fuze.  When listening to MP3 or WMA files the player will suddenly shut down.  When I restart it goes into the “Refreshing Media” mode and does it’s thing.  Everything seems normal after the Refresh, except that it may well repeat the same thing again in a few minutes.

This only occurs when I physically move the player- could be some sort of stress associated with the output cord.  It does not happen when I am listening to FM.  So far, it does not happen when the player is locked (but can go into it as soon as the player is unlocked).  I normally use a 4GB SD card, but the player will do it with the card in or out (I generally have Podcasts on the SD and my music on the main memory.  It has happened when listening either to the SD card or the internal memory (but not FM).

Version is 1.02.026A.  The problem is only recent and does not appear to be related to that update.

It could be a bad file.

But it could also be a glitch in the Fuze’s physical design. The card slot is right under the << button, and I find that when I push the << button on its outer edge, it sometimes restarts the Fuze–apparently because the pressure slightly dislodges the card, and then it has to refresh the database when it senses the card again.

Are you gripping it on its left side when the problem happens? It could be the same thing.

My workaround is to make sure I only press the inner edge of the wheel when I need <<, and not to squeeze the Fuze on the left side. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

But it could also be a glitch in the Fuze’s physical design. The card slot is right under the << button, and I find that when I push the << button on its outer edge, it sometimes restarts the Fuze–apparently because the pressure slightly dislodges the card, and then it has to refresh the database when it senses the card again.

That’s what I initially thought, and tried without the SD card in the slot.  But, unfortunately, I had the problem occur when the card was not in the slot.  The problem has occured with a variety of different files.

It never hurts to try Error-Checking (connect, right-click on the drive, Properties/Tools/Error-Checking) or to reinstall the firmware.

If it’s some connection coming loose, though, you’re probably looking at a replacement.

@black_rectangle wrote:

It never hurts to try Error-Checking (connect, right-click on the drive, Properties/Tools/Error-Checking) or to reinstall the firmware.

If it’s some connection coming loose, though, you’re probably looking at a replacement.

I don’t follow the Error-Checking procedure.  You are talking about from the computer, right?  I have Vista and clicking Properties on either Internal or External Fuse drive just shows properties in one tab - no other tabs, Tools, or anything else.

An additional observation:  I believe that I only have this problem when the battery is discharged some (about half way or more).

Sorry, I’m on XP. Look for Error-Checking in Help—Vista probably has a different path.

Another way to do it (in XP anyway) is Run…Chkdsk on the Sansa drive. (So if it’s F:\Sansa fuze, then it’s Run Chkdsk F:) 

Well, my problem deepens.  This morning it Frooze when listening to FM on a full charge.  I had it in my pocket, was locked and I bent down.  No sound, controls did not work and got the Refresh when I forced it on.

I am pretty sure something is wrong inside - on to see about getting it replaced (another week under warranty).

Call 1-866-SANDISK in the US (or look up a number for your country) immediately. Don’t waste time on the email system. Especially if you’ve just got a week left.

@black_rectangle wrote:
Call 1-866-SANDISK in the US (or look up a number for your country) immediately. Don’t waste time on the email system. Especially if you’ve just got a week left.

Actually I used their On-Line chat (that is quick and I end up with a written record).  The agent had me do all sort of things along the lines you suggested and asked that if that didn’t work that I repeat that using another computer.  A bit of a pain as the freezing problem does not immediately show up (so it takes some time to know if the problem is fixed or not). 

The problem persisted in various forms and I contacted them again via chat - given the extensive documentation that the chat transcripts produce, they conceded that it was a hardware problem and provided a RMA (plus paid the shipping charges).

I guess that I should check  off the “Solved” box.