Sansa e260 has a crack in the display

Hello,

I have got the Sansa e260 and I have seen that it has a crack in the display. Now you just can see white and black blotches. When I turn it on, the blue circle normally glows and when I connect it to the computer I can see my music files on it. So the memory is intact.

My question is, if there is there is a possibility to change this device or to repair it?

I have payed 35 € for it at Amazon.

I don’t want to buy a different one because it’s just the display which doesn’t work, the rest still works.

Thank you all

The TFT display is fragile.  Once cracked, repairing it involves desoldering a flex connector ribbon, an arduous task indeed.

A second e260 can be scavenged for parts, the best method, as long as the display is good.  The faceplate and memory module from your current Sansa can simply be transplanted to the donor machine’s motherboard, leaving your music intact.

Man, if only the design had included a header connector for the ribbon…

Bob  :wink:

Thank you for your reply, but I didn’t understand the hole text. Is there a possibility for me to repair it on my own or should I send it to the producer?

What do you mean with “the memory module from your current Sansa can simply be transplanted to the donor machine’s motherboard”?. Which second e260 do you mean?

It’s not important for me to leave my music intact, because I have this files on my computer anyway. I just wrote it to show that it’s just the display which doesn’t work.

NO you cannot just replace the screen. :cry:

BUT IF your Sansa is a “v1” you could find an e250 and replace the “RAM chip” FROM yours onto the NEW (unbought) one.

The RAM chip has the software which makes the Sansa work and your music and settings…

http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200-devboard.html

(The v2 Does NOT allow you to do this.)

Sorry for the confusion.  If you purchase another e260, for parts, you can remove the internal circuit board and working display (soldered together) from the second machine.

I’m assuming that the second device could have a weathered face plate.  You can take the face plate from your current Sansa.

The burning question is, was the screen cracked, and will the vendor allow you to exchange for another device.  I’m assuming it’s a refurbished unit, as it was at a great price, about 30 quid?

As long as there isn’t visible damage to the casing or faceplate, there may be a limited warranty on the unit.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Good afternoon, Daniel

Three days ago, I suffered a similar fate with my e260R having its screen sustain a crack resulting from being dropped. The crack is very fine and runs slightly diagonal from the upper-left corner (for approx. 2"). I’ve kept my player in pristine condition until this. Heart breaking.

Any way, I checked out your link below in an effort to salvage my player. You have no instructions. My question is… Will replacing the RAM chip, as you describe, require soldering? Special tools?

Your reply will be awaited, and thanks in advance.

@ctrek321 wrote:

Good afternoon, Daniel

Three days ago, I suffered a similar fate with my e260R having its screen sustain a crack resulting from being dropped. The crack is very fine and runs slightly diagonal from the upper-left corner (for approx. 2"). I’ve kept my player in pristine condition until this. Heart breaking.

Any way, I checked out your link below in an effort to salvage my player. You have no instructions. My question is… Will replacing the RAM chip, as you describe, require soldering? Special tools?

Your reply will be awaited, and thanks in advance.

You may be waiting quite a while . . . Are you referring to the link that AutobahnSHO furnished in his post from 2 months ago? The link is to Daniel Haxx’s website (who is a rockbox developer) and is not a member (that I know of) of this forum. I don’t see a reference to any other Daniel in this thread???

In regards to your question though, in working on a v1 model player (which Daniel does and the pictures furnished on his site are of) no, the RAM chip will not require soldering.

But . . . you are describing (and you’ve posted in a thread about) a broken/cracked LCD screen; a whole different component altogether. The LCD screen is attached with a ribbon cable that is soldered into the circuit board with about a gazillion microscopic solder joints and no, it is not replacable with or without special tools.

The RAM (Random Access Memory) chip has nothing to do with the LCD (Liquid Crystal Diode) viewing screen. Heart breaking, yes. You will have to buy another player.

Hey Tapeworm,

Thanks, for your prompt reply.

There was a reference of getting another unit, with an intact screen, and then swapping out the RAM chip from the broken unit.  I’ve considered this as reasonable, eventhough I don’t know the complexities that would entail.  This, somehow, got “twisted” when posing my questions.

I am now looking into eBay, as funds are very limited, for getting an e280.  Yep, your news made this heart “breakier.”

But, it was an informative interaction.

Have a great day ahead, and many thanks!