Sansa Clip: Screensaver when charging: Can we manually activate it to extend display life?

When charging the Sansa Clip:  After one hour the screen goes blank (a screensaver, I assume).

I’d like to activate the screensaver right away, to extend the display life.  Is there a way to do it?

Or perhaps in a future firmware release, to have a button sequence activate it.

Unless the display life is much longer than the life of the unit in general…

Thanks for your time.

@jamesnewbie wrote:

When charging the Sansa Clip:  After one hour the screen goes blank (a screensaver, I assume).

I’d like to activate the screensaver right away, to extend the display life.  Is there a way to do it?

Or perhaps in a future firmware release, to have a button sequence activate it.

Unless the display life is much longer than the life of the unit in general…

Thanks for your time.

The way to do it is to use an external AC wall charger. This is definitely a good idea, because the display does indeed have a finite life. Another benefit of the wall charger is that since the screen won’t be drawing power, the charge will take less time. Also, you can listen to your Clip while it’s charging this way, unlike when it’s plugged into your computer. You might not even have to buy a charger, many cell phone chargers work on it. You’re looking for 5V, and between 300mA and 1000mA / 1A.

As far as I know, you can’t do it manually now.

This is the reason why some people recharge using an AC adapter:  when recharging via AC, the display will turn off following your screen display backlight time setting. 

In point of fact, even though it bugs some of us, it is likely that the 1 hour display time during USB recharge will not appreciably affect the ultimate lifespan of the screen, in the end; if I recall correctly, the screen has a lifespan of 5000 hours or something like that (sorry, it’s been awhile)–that’s 208 days of fulltime display all day/night long.  By the time that you probably, if ever, reach that point, the battery’s lifespan may have been reached or you likely may have moved on to another player, as technology improves over time.  But this is all unique to each user (if you’re that rarer user who keeps the display on for 8 hours a day, the screen’s lifespan will be reached in about 1.7 years; if you’re using your player a lot everyday and are recharging everyday, recharging via AC could save you 365 hours of screen time a year, the equivalent of almost another month of screen time over that 1.7 years), and so you may want to recharge via AC just to cover yourself as much as possible.  (More realistic, if your screen is on for 2 hours a day, which still is a lot unless you really keep your screen on a lot, the screen should last for around 7 years or more–think where you will be and what technology you might be using at that point.) 

Thank you very much for your prompt, informative, and helpful replies.  Much appreciated.

I’m quite happy with this Sansa Clip…  it’s well-designed, easy to use, inexpensive, light-weight.  I like the software, menu layout and features.