Clip+ OLED Lifetime

is there any way to turn off the display of Clip+ while connected to PC ?

i’m concern about limited lifetime of OLED, compared to LCD…

thanks…

@esgikey wrote:

thanks…

It will eventually turn the screen off…I think it’s after one hour of being connected. :dizzy_face:

For this reason, I’ve always recommended using a wall charger instead of  a PC to charge.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@esgikey wrote:

thanks…

It will eventually turn the screen off…I think it’s after one hour of being connected. :dizzy_face:

For this reason, I’ve always recommended using a wall charger instead of  a PC to charge.

hemm, okay…is there anyone knows about OLED lifetime? how many hour ?

is it good enough to reach 3 year, until the battery dead?

The screen has a healthy life.  SanDisk originally posted, when the original Clip first came out, the hour-life of the screen–I don’t recall it at this point.  However, when I first saw the figure, I calculated that between the screen and the battery, the Clip would last for more than 5 years of average daily use.  Unfortunately, I don’t recall what that “average daily use” was …

Personally, I wouldn’t sweat it and would just do what is reasonable to preserve the battery and display; most importantly, set the display to go off (that is, don’t set it to the always-on setting).  Charging via AC rather than computer can save some screen life, as noted above; although, in the end, does the extra hour of screen display time from charging really make a big difference? 

The screen has a healthy life.  SanDisk originally posted, when the original Clip first came out, the hour-life of the screen–I don’t recall it at this point.  However, when I first saw the figure, I calculated that between the screen and the battery, the Clip would last for more than 5-7 years of average daily use.  Unfortunately, I don’t recall what that “average daily use” was …

Personally, I wouldn’t sweat it and would just do what is reasonable to preserve the battery and display; most importantly, set the display to go off (that is, don’t set it to the always-on setting).  Charging via AC rather than computer can save some screen life, as noted above; although, in the end, does the extra hour of screen display time from charging via computer really make a big difference? 

Some further info. from a search here:

Various posts note a lifetime of 5,000 hours for the blue OLED (which has the shortest lifespan of the colors).  Note, however, that the Wikipedia article that is referenced in one of those posts notes a lifetime of 14,000 hours, and that’s until the display is at half brightness, not totally dead.

A 5,000 hour lifespan gives you a bit under 3 hours of display time per day, for 5 years.  A 14,000 hour lifespan gives over 7.6 hours of display time per day for 5 years.  This seems pretty hefty for your needs, unless you were planning to keep the display in an always-on state. 

Hope this gives you some reassurance.

I’ve seen posts where people’s Clips have screen burn-in…so I still strongly recommend doing most of one’s charging via AC adaptor, regardless of any theoretical screen lifetime number.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39747&highlight=clip+screen+burn-in

http://http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/Sansa-Clip-screen-dying-an-imprint/m-p/206238#M32998

http://http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/sansa-clip-LCD-image-burn-problem/m-p/113401#M16356

wow… great links and lots of information from it…

i’ve modified USB cable to be a charging only mode, by disabling data pin…

but, one more question, is it save for my laptop to plug it in ?

coz, when i open, USB device manager, computer tell me “Unknown Power Required”…

Laptops are tricky buggers when it comes to supplying power to charge other devices through the USB ports. Their ‘prime directive’ is to conserve battery power whenever and wherever possible. Hence they can be unreliable when it comes to charging an outside device. If you must use it, make sure the laptop is plugged into AC power or just get an AC-USB charger. They’re inexpensive enough; usually $10 - $20 US for a reliable brand. Some will even charge 2 devices at the same time.

Here’s a nice one from the Sansa Store:

Meritline.com often has good deals on USB AC adapters–nice prices.  (I just picked up 2 name-brand adapters at $2 each, including shipping.)

thanks for your advice dude, i can’t buy it online coz i’m from Indonesia. a lot of Chinese USB adapter sold here, but i’m not sure with generic china product,

i prefer using my cellphone mini USB charger to charge my Clip+  and connect to laptop, only when necessary…

thanks for answers my dumb question…

@esgikey wrote:

thanks for your advice dude, i can’t buy it online coz i’m from Indonesia. a lot of Chinese USB adapter sold here, but i’m not sure with generic china product,

i prefer using my cellphone mini USB charger to charge my Clip+  and connect to laptop, only when necessary…

thanks for answers my dumb question…

That’s exactly what I do…if the Clip+ needs charging, I still have the mini-USB charger from my old cell phone that I use with it.