sansa clip is'n refreshing . need help !

please help me. me mps3 player is not refreshing . when i turn it on , begins refreshing and in the middle of the line, it 's just stops refreshing . :frowning:  i don’t know what is problam and please help me if you can ! :frowning: :frowning: :( 

Most likely an ID3 tag in one or more of the files that the player can’t read, so it just hangs up.

If this just started happening, connect it to the computer and delete whatever music you added most recently. If that ends the problem, then as Tapeworm suggests, there is a bad tag in something you recently added. 

The tags are little electronic labels in the files that let the Sansa list Album, Artist, etc.  Unfortunately there are lots of different formats and the Sansa doesn’t like some of them.

To fix tags–hope you’re on a Windows computer–get the free program mp3tag.  A similar Mac program is kid3, but I’m not as familiar with that, so I’m just going to give you mp3tag instructions here.

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Those are the kinds of tags Sansa prefers. (KID3 will have a similar option somewhere). 

If you can isolate the problem album, right click on the folder, have it open with mp3tag (from the context menu) and you’ll see all the files.

Highlight them all. Make sure they are in playing order top to bottom (if they’re not, click on the top of the Track column). Click on Tools/Options/Auto-Numbering Wizard and run the Leading Zeros option. This will number the tracks 01, 02, etc.–easy for the Sansa to read–and write them as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

One more thing. While they are highlighted, does the album cover appear on the bottom left of mp3tag?

That means that not only are the tags there, but someone has stuffed the entire album cover into each tag.  The Sansa really slows down or stops as it tries to digest each image.  All the Sansa needs to display the album cover is one file, folder.jpg or cover.jpg, in the same folder as the album.

Mp3tag will fix that too. With the songs highlighted, go to View/Extended Tags. The image will appear. Click on the little floppy-disc icon to save it in the folder as folder.jpg.  Then click on the X to remove the images from the files. 

I use both of those tricks on every album before it goes to the Sansa. The explanation is long but it takes a total of maybe 20 seconds to actually do it and it pretty much guarantees things will go smoothly on the Sansa.

1 Like