Sansa Clip in Car

I would like to know if I can play my new sansa clip in my car?? I have a Malibu and I did not know if I can play the sansa clip through me car radio??

Yep, just like any digital audio player.  Best means, if possible, is simply to connect a cable (readily available at electronics stores and on-line) between the Clip’s headphone jack and an auxiliary input jack on your car radio.  If your radio doesn’t have that, you could replace your car radio at $100-200 for one that does (Crutchfield.com is a nice starting source), or more simply, plug your clip into an fm transmitter (also available on-line and in electronics stores) that will transmit the sound from your Clip to a frequency on your car radio; if your car radio has a casette slot, you can buy a casette adapter that plugs into your Clip’s headphone jack.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 11-16-2008 11:29 AM

Just to add a bit to Miikerman’s response: the order of fidelity of his choices are:

Best: direct input to aux jack.

2nd best: cassette adapter.

3rd best: FM transmitter. 

Absolutely.  A further possiblility with some car stereos:  there could be a connection at the back of the stereo head unit (such as for a CD player stored in the car’s truck) which instead can be used as a simple aux. input.  Of course, you’d have to pull the head unit out to connect a aux. cable to the connector, and then run the cable out the back of the space to the dash area.

Further suggestion:  If you wind up going the FM transmitter mode, you should consider getting a 6’ headphone extention cable (male at one end, female at the other) that you will plug in between the transmitter and the player.  The transmitters typically use their built-in input wire, which is between four inches and two feet depending upon make and model, as its antenna so extending this boosts the signal.  :-D  It may look goofy but I have a headphone extention looped a couple times over my rearview, with the Clip clipped to the loop above the dash so I can reach out and change tunes while driving, and it works great.  (Without the extention, the car antenna – 3 feet away through the windshield – gets signal like it were a radio station 100 miles away.)  FCC regs say an FM transmitter like that can’t broadcast more than 30 feet so you might want to test things out before you go mobile.  :smileyvery-happy:

Another thing to consider if you do wind up going the FM transmitter route is stations available.  Most of the transmitters on the market let you choose 4 stations, give or take a few, at the 88mhz and 107mhz parts of the spectrum.  I live near Seattle so most of the 8 choices one of my transmitters have are taken!  So you might want to look for one that has a broader selection or, like the Phillips model with the channel LED, lets you choose any station (mine is set to 104.1).