Sansa Clip frozen on SanDisk sansa screen

Can someone please help!  My screen freezes once turned on at “SanDisk sansa” screen.  Will not do anything else, with the exception of turning off.  I tried to install the firmware updater, or whatever it’s called, but my computer does not recognize the connection.  I even tried a different cord for the connection than the one it came with and still nothing.  So the screen’s frozen.  I can’t update because the computer doesn’t recognize the connection, so I can’t follow any of the suggestions, including the one from the company, SanDisk!  Is it just dead or does someone have any suggestions?  I tried the power on and hold for 20 seconds and turn off and back on.  Nothing.

@denisehenry wrote:
Can someone please help!  My screen freezes once turned on at “SanDisk sansa” screen.  Will not do anything else, with the exception of turning off.  I tried to install the firmware updater, or whatever it’s called, but my computer does not recognize the connection.  I even tried a different cord for the connection than the one it came with and still nothing.  So the screen’s frozen.  I can’t update because the computer doesn’t recognize the connection, so I can’t follow any of the suggestions, including the one from the company, SanDisk!  Is it just dead or does someone have any suggestions?  I tried the power on and hold for 20 seconds and turn off and back on.  Nothing.

Sounds like you have a corrupt file.   Try this.  Taken from the FAQ:

Contributor: c1u31355

Getting weird or blank file names you can’t delete? Songs stop working in certain albums? Running check disk may help.

Here’s the workaround:

1. Connect in MSC / Rhapsody Mode.
  2. Open My Computer and take note of the drive letter; example; e:/ or f:/
  3. Left click Start then Run: and type in chkdsk x:/f (x being the drive letter that was previously noted). 

*/f**   **: Fixes errors on the disk.

Report if this helped,   Cheers

My 2GB clip has also frozen to the screen ‘SanDisk sansa’. My computer does not recognize it at all. I can’t access it via Windows Explorer to use the */F fix error, update firmware, or re-format the player. Media Player (v. 11) won’t recognize the player.  I can only turn in off by holding the on/off for 20 secs. Is there a way to manually reset the player from some hidden outside port? Help!

Poppy_1066-

Check your other thread.  We have two almost identically titled threads, with one word transposed.  I thought I was seeing double!

The Code 10 issue involves the MTP driver.  Run chkdsk first, and get your Clip running normally.  It may resume normal communication, solving the Code 10 issue.

Denisehenry-

Check the similarly named thread too.  Once the Clip is running normally, everything else should fall into line.  Remember to switch the power switch back to the center position when unplugging, as it locks the keys.  You can manually reinstall the firmware file in MSC mode too, without the Updater.

The Sansa Updater can’t reinstall a new copy of the existing firmware anyway.  To reinstall the firmware, manually connect in MSC mode, and load a copy of the m300a.bin (revision 1) or m30pa.bin (revision 2) file.  See the firmware threads for details.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-01-2009 09:56 PM