Sansa clip froze, screen message says "disconnected"

My machine went on to standby mode when connected with Sansa clip. I brought my machine up and disconnected the Sansa USB, since then clip shows a message “disconnected”. Even if I try switching it off or other options it still shows disconnected message. I tried firmware update but it says no updatable sansa product is recognized.

I hate when that happens.  With the Sansa unplugged, slide the power switch up to the ON position, and hold it there for 10-15 seconds.  This will perform a soft reset of the device.

It should now power up normally, and will be recognized by the computer again.

You can prevent this wee disaster from happening by configuring the USB port to stay on during standby. With the Sansa plugged in, in the Device Manager, go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then expand that.  You will see a list of USB Root Hub listings at the bottom of the tree.

Starting at the bottom, double click on each one and select Properties.  The Sansa is hidden in this view, but we can find it be clicking on the Power tab.  Once you find the hub position with the Sansa listed, click on the Power Management tab, and uncheck"allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Please note that the Sansa Updater will only upgrade the currently installed firmware to the latest build, but it isn’t designed to reinstall the same version, as in the case of a repair.  To reinstall the same version, you must follow the directions to install the firmware manually.

In this particular situation, I don’t think it will corrupt your firmware.  The soft reset should do the trick.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-18-2009 07:50 AM