Sansa Clip 4GB won't turn on for unknown reasons

I had my sansa clip (4GB) for over a year now and I’ve never had any problems with until now. After doing my weekly formatting, I disconnected it for the charger and it refreshed then just turned off. I pushed up the power button (many times) but it didn’t turn on. I then reconnected it back on the charger and it turned back on. I went to check the internal memory and found all the files gone expect some “FIL” file that says “DevIcon”. Now It still doesn’t turn on when I deconnected it and shows no files except “DevIcon” when I reconnect it. Is there any solution on getting this problem fixed?    

Have you tried a reset?  Hold the on switch uppermost for 15-30 seconds.  I hope it works!

“Weekly formatting?”

Why?

Tapeworm wrote:

“Weekly formatting?”

Why?

I would ask the same thing…why?

I guess it’s like flossing one’s teeth (but not as frequently)?   :wink:

i got my sansa clip 4gb in christmas of 2009 and it worked good untill it stopped working…it wont turn on or nothing!! i did everything in the manual and i turned on once then never came back on!! i don’t know wat to do

Unless you tell us exactly what you did, and how we can’t know. Simply saying you tried everything in the manual isn’t enough. We need specifics in order to help you

The 1st thing you should always try in this situation is resetting the device. Hold the sliding power switch in the uppermost position; it usually only takes 10-15 secs. But if after that, it’s still unresponsive try it for longer; up to 30-40 secs.

If this doesn’t work, then post back and give us more details about what you’ve tried, and what (if anything) was the response.

Does it respond when you plug it into the computer? Does it turn on and show that it’s charging?

It’s best when you want help to give a detailed description of the problem, when it happens, everything you’ve tried, or what you know. Otherwise, there’ll be a lot of back & forth getting the information we need to help, which will delay you in getting back to enjoying your player again.

justadrii wrote:

i got my sansa clip 4gb in christmas of 2009 and it worked good untill it stopped working…it wont turn on or nothing!! i did everything in the manual and i turned on once then never came back on!! i don’t know wat to do

Unless you tell us exactly what you did and how, we can’t know. Simply saying you tried everything in the manual isn’t enough. We need specifics in order to help you

The 1st thing you should always try in this situation is resetting the device, as suggested earlier in this thread. Hold the sliding power switch in the uppermost position; it usually only takes 10-15 secs. But if after that, it’s still unresponsive try it for longer; up to 30-40 secs.

If this doesn’t work, then post back and give us more details about what you’ve tried, and what (if anything) was the response.

Does it respond when you plug it into the computer? Does it turn on and show that it’s charging?

It’s best when you want help to give a detailed description of the problem, when it happens, everything you’ve tried, or what you know. Otherwise, there’ll be a lot of back & forth getting the information we need to help, which will delay you in getting back to enjoying your player again.

My Sansa Clip won’t turn on either.  It is recognized by the computer and appears to charge, but once i disconnect it from my computer, it won’t turn on.  I tried to reset it by holding the power button.  That didn’t work.  Then I tried updating the Firmware with the Updater.  I’m not sure that worked.  Then I tried to do it manually by extracting the zip file, but that didn’t do anything for me either.

When I look at my clip files I have the following:

m300a.bin 

DevIcon.fil

WMPInfo.xml

and then the following folders:

Music

Playlists

Record

Service

What am I missing here? If this is a bigger pain than it’s worth, that’s fine. I’ll just buy another one. I don’t know how long I’ve had mine - maybe 2 years.  Every file says the date modified was 05/31/05.  I know it isn’t that old.

Thanks!

It sounds like one of the leads to the internal battery could have become undone (a well-known issue).  Are you still within the warranty period?  If so, contact SanDisk for a replacement.  If not, you could try opening the Clip and reattaching the lead (there are many posts here on that–try a search with the search box at upper left).  But before doing that, I would exhaust all other possibilities–the case is not meant to be opened.

Miikerman wrote:
It sounds like one of the leads to the internal battery could have become undone (a well-known issue).  Are you still within the warranty period?  If so, contact SanDisk for a replacement.  If not, you could try opening the Clip and reattaching the lead (there are many posts here on that–try a search with the search box at upper left).  But before doing that, I would exhaust all other possibilities–the case is not meant to be opened.

I second that opinion. There’s a disassembly guide (with pictures) over at ABI forums if you want to tackle it.

I’d look at it this way . . . It’s dead already, you don’t have anything to lose. The hardest part is getting the case opened up without trashing it. Take your time, pick the right tool for the job and you should be OK.

Agreed. I’ll attempt it. I may just have to spend the $40-50 for a new one. Luckily, I can still get all my music off of it. I’ll do that before I open the thing up. Thanks!

I ran into same problem Unknown while using ogg files.

i use db poweramp ripper

i create a profile to rip and use this naming string saved in my profile to get clip to see folder and such

so far no problems i just took default nameing string and capatilized what u se capitalized here

original string

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][album][track] [artist] - [title]

modified string

[IFVALUE]ALBUM ARTIST,[ALBUM ARTIST],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][ARTIST][][][ALBUM][TRACK] [ARTIST] - [title]

Mine doesn’t turn on at all even if I do the soft reset and I hold it from 15-40 seconds and it still fails to work. On top of that when I charge it (it’s been charging for one month straight now). It still won’t turn on. I’ve tried everything in the manual and forums. Any ideas or suggestions?

@freddington wrote:

Mine doesn’t turn on at all even if I do the soft reset and I hold it from 15-40 seconds and it still fails to work. On top of that when I charge it ( it’s been charging for one month straight now ). It still won’t turn on. I’ve tried everything in the manual and forums. Any ideas or suggestions?

Are you kidding me? You’ve been trying to charge it for a month straight with no results and haven’t called SanDisk Tech Support yet? :dizzy_face:

@freddington wrote:

Mine doesn’t turn on at all even if I do the soft reset and I hold it from 15-40 seconds and it still fails to work. On top of that when I charge it (it’s been charging for one month straight now). It still won’t turn on. I’ve tried everything in the manual and forums. Any ideas or suggestions?

Contact SanDisk.  And if you are within the warranty period, seek a warranty replacement (which SanDisk is good about).  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

Thanks for the reminder to hold down the reset button for 15-30 seconds; it worked.

Holding the power button for 20 seconds worked for me! I thought I killed this thing because I had it charging for about 3.5 hours. I went to unplug it and you know how it usually turns on when you do that? So it would not turn on. Normally one press of the power button does that. I plugged the USB charger back in and my computer failed to recognize it. Thank you google search for bringing me to this thread… held in power button and voila! I got such a good deal on this pretty purple player ($20) but I still didn’t want to have to send it in/buy a new one, plus all of my workout tunes are on here. Note to self: backup.

Great to hear–gotta love that on button!   :slight_smile: