Sansa C140 Frozen

My sansa c140 was doing just fine yesterday. Today I loaded it up to my PC to upload more music.  When I opened Drive E all the music was gone but I was able to upload a few new mp3. After I disconnceted it from my computer it would not go past the Sansa opening screen. Now the only way to shut it off is by disconnecting the battery. And even when I connect it to the computer the screen likes up but the PC doesn’t recongize that any device is even connected. Please help!

Ok so I’ve left my mp3 player connected to the USB whenever I use my computer and suddenly my computer recongized it. I tried to take advantage of it by using the downloadable fixers but it didn’t work. Now my computer wont recongize it any more.

I was thinking about formatting it…but that erases EVERYTHING. If its ok to do that let me know and I’ll try it if it ever pops up again.

I bougth this player almost one year ago. From the first minute I was dissapointed by the sound quality. Compares with old cassette player (not even with the worst cd player). Battery average life was under 10 hours.
Doesn’t connect directly to USB (had to carry always with me the cable huge connector).
Documentation is poor. It took me over 2 months of web research to find out how to create playlists (you sinply transfer the .m3u files to the root of the audible folder).
Finally after 10 months the player is broken. After a media transfer with my pc it was never stopped updating the storage so the only sollution was to take out the battery. After restart the player was FROZEN with the last song played before the media transfer and the battery level on red (no control working, not even the power button).
I wrote to the sandisk support twice (they never responded to the phone either).
Buying again from SanDisk? NEVER!!!

gogu2008 wrote:
I bougth this player almost one year ago. From the first minute I was dissapointed by the sound quality. Compares with old cassette player (not even with the worst cd player). Battery average life was under 10 hours.
Doesn’t connect directly to USB (had to carry always with me the cable huge connector).
Documentation is poor. It took me over 2 months of web research to find out how to create playlists (you sinply transfer the .m3u files to the root of the audible folder).
Finally after 10 months the player is broken. After a media transfer with my pc it was never stopped updating the storage so the only sollution was to take out the battery. After restart the player was FROZEN with the last song played before the media transfer and the battery level on red (no control working, not even the power button).
I wrote to the sandisk support twice (they never responded to the phone either).
Buying again from SanDisk? NEVER!!!

I would be happy to look into your case for you. I sent you a PM with the details.

If this ever occurs again you can format the player but it will remove everything on it.

Hmmm … but how can I format it if the computer doesn’t recognize it? I tried on winXp, win200, linux openSuse but doesn’t seem to detect any device on usb after connecting it.
Also when I connect the C140 to USB instead of starting the MTS mode it just display that last song but it doesn’t actually play it and of corse no control working at all.

You have to remove the battery, engage the Hold button, then hold the Volume Down button while connecting the player to the PC…

Unfortunatelly, that doesn’t work - the same behavior; compuer doen’t detect it; tried that on two different computers.
Is that information comming from some sansa spec? Or have you tried that and worked for another C140?

Any other ideas?

Someone also recmended me to remove the battery (to unfreeze it) and hold power button for 30 seconds, then connect it to the computer. (without the battery) but the same result. Computer doesn’t see the player at all.

My C140 is performing the same way - plays OK but I can’t add anything because the computer does not see the C140.
I have been to several sites and tried it all.

I am amazed that Sansa has such outstanding memory products and such a bad track record with their MP3 players - and even worse tech support.  I went thru all the steps and after it did not work and I should have recieved a new unit, they just ignored my emails.

And to make matters worse, this model continues to be sold with the same problems!!

I plant to keep looking for answers and post back here if I find something helpful.

OldFatGuy

Message Edited by OFG on 02-15-2008 05:35 PM

Mr. SF - thanks for checking on my assistance request.

I am more appreciative since, as you notice from your customer log,  the last response to me from Sandisk was 8 months ago.

As per the RMA and instructions, I will be mailing the device in the next two days.

Sincerely -

Mark

Mr SF -
I recieved the RMA, sent it back, and got the replacement.  It works great, thanks for the assistance.  I will now consider a Sansa unit when I replace my C140.
Thanks again -
OFG

Sansa C140 1.0 G on Debian Ubuntu+Kubuntu+XUBuntu and FreeSpire. Works in MTP Mode. I had to format the darn thing on a Windows machine - however I have a *new* strange issue. There are two songs in my playlist that do not have files that i can see in MTP mode.

Nor in Windows now either. They are just there. Apparitional soundtracks from “A Beautiful Mind” (kinda fitting - hearing something there that really isn’t ‘there’ on the device? {It’s all in my head}). 

Any ideas where these mystery files are on the Sansa? Perhaps a happy firmware update that will take my woes away and introduce OGG-Vorbis to the player instead of MSAudio? :wink:

I’m off to see if there is a firware hack to make the very trusty Sansa C140 more Linux compliant now. But there you have it.

If you have issues with a sansa c140/c150 I recommend going to the webpage on wikibooks.org   Follow the firmware link at the bottom of the page.  This is in .rar format and will need uncompressing.