SanDisk SecureAccess (Password and encryption software)

It works today.  I had a lot of processes going on when I installed it and something may have been blocking the write function.  I tried it again the next day and it worked. Go figure. 

A very good queastion. Curious that it hasn’t been answered in over a month. Whats up with that?

What is a good partition for this?Does this need an appropriate OS just to get what you want?

Like some other people above, I am getting the following error message when I run the RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Mac icon.

“please run sandisk secureaccess from a sandisk external device”

I am confused as I extracted the zip file onto my sandisk cruzer, and that is where I am running it from?

Only think I can think of…  I put my Cruzer into my work laptop the other day and then had to take it out without going through the registration process.  I wonder if this has done some damage?

Help…  How can I fix this?? 

The files can’t be seen only errors. :frowning: How can this possibly be?

I have u3 drive that I lost the data when I entered my password. I used a filerecovery utility that recovered some 1000+ files.  They are all 2048MB long.  That was the cluster size that the filerecovery utility defaulted.  When I try to open one of the “recoved” files I get gibberish.  I’m assuming because it was originally encrypted.  I have the password that I used on the u3.  Is there a way to decrypt the files that I “recovered”?  

The password and encryption feature is just a mere way for you to feel that your files and folders inside your flash drive are all secured and can’t easily be tampered by anyone that gets hold of it.

I am not sure how to copy the .dmg file to the flash drive it I can’t open the flash drive because of the error.  

It is not quite true that the files in the vault are password protected.

Only the files in the vault that have been encrypted are protected against being modified – and it’s because they’re encrypted, not because of the password.  They are not protected against being deleted.

Alas, the only way to work with the encrypted is to move them back out of the vault and unencrypt them – a tedious process at best.  And, unless you are very studious about moving them back into the vault, the unencrypted version remains available for viewing, copying, and other generalized hacking.

This is a far inferior solution to simply password protecting the flash drive itself, as the U3 system used to.

The answer that U3 is at the end of its useful life is not the answer tgo the multiple complaints on this point.  Windows 95 is past the end of its useful life, too, but Microsoft didn’t take us to a less user-friendly interface; it improved the interface.  This move to the misnamed Secure Access program is a vast decrease in utility.

The question is, does anyone from SanDisk read this forum to realize that this will be the last SanDisk purchased by the many dissatisfied users on this forum who have the same complaint?  I will be shopping for another manufacturer’s flash drive tomorrow, and meanwhile will be posting my review of the 32 GB SanDisk on the site where I bought it to warn other former loyal customers of SanDisk that their loyalty is not reciprocated.

just a few thoughts. First U3 has produced more complaints and bad reviews than removing it ever could. if you had been around here long enough you would have seen the thousands of posts with people complaining about U3. Second if i remember correctly sandisk owns U3 and licensed it out to other manufacturers. once they eol’ed u3 no other manufacturers are manufactururing drives with it either. lets face it u3 was buggy technology that was riddled with compatibility issues and mostly would not work well unless ran under administarative privigaes. the only thing it had going for it was password protection and there are literally hundreds of apps that can provide that. if you dont like the app sandisk provides just find anotherone you like and use that but i doubt very seriously that U3 is coming back.  

 >> if you had been around here long enough you

 >> would have seen the thousands of posts with

 >> people complaining about U3.

Honestly, I’m at a loss for words.  I’ve used my U3 drives on literally dozens of computers, across at least four different platforms; WinXP, WIn2K, WinVista, and Win7. I haven’t had a serious problem yet.

And, as was echoed in previous posts, I’m more likely to get the more economical flash drives using third party software. If I wanted to work out of archives, I’d use WinZip, which is more reliable, and can compress as well as encrypt.

They also don’t package their software with a heavy duty sales pitch for online storage.  Such is useless to me, since I work with personally identifiable information.  Two years ago, the state of Massachusetts passed a new Privacy Act (now, the toughest in the nation), which does not allow me to store the information off-site.

Just my thoughts,

ghl3

"the state of Massachusetts passed a new Privacy Act "

I suggest you contact the good state of Massachusetts and ask them what brand USB devices you are allowed to use.

I just bought a SanDisk 16 GB USB Flash Drive Security Access from a genuin retailer. I downloaded its software for mac from the site. But everytime I run the program, it promts, ‘Please run SanDisk SecureAccess from a SanDisk external device’. Temme what to do??

Did you put the downloaded software on the Flash Drive before running it?  Because that’s what you have to do, it won’t run from a hard drive. 

And what are you supposed to do when a brand new 32gb flash drive won’t recognize the password you gave it an hour ago? I’ve lost precious data and SanDisk offers no solutions. They’re “sorry.”

i would say it is likly that you are using the worng password. 

in any event you should still ahve the data on your computer. if you dont ahve a backup then there is not really anything anyone can do for you. 

I wish I had read this forum before I bought my flash drive. I spent $60 on a 32gb flash drive; placed some very precious photos in it for safe keeping, and within an hour they were unavailable to me. The same problem many others reported. It says your password is wrong; when you ask for your hint it comes up blank. I spent hours online and on the phone to India (where else?) and first they wanted to sell me a $60 program to retrieve my files. Then they told me it might not work. Finally I spoke to a supervisor who said nothing would work and his response was basically, “sorry.”

As there are so many people who have this problem and SanDisk _ must _ know about it and SanDisk continues to sell defective flash drives, I was thinking a class-action lawsuit may be the only way to get satisfaction from this company. I would like to get a feel for how many others are angry enough to join in. I, for one, will never, ever buy another SanDisk product.

spiritrider2

I’m sure this post won’t be up very long.

The usual cause for wrong passwords is they are keyed in wrong, either when they were created or remembered.  And a major cause of that is the Caps Lock key being pressed rather than the Shift key followed by the Num Lock key being on.

Security is based on the password and if there were an easy way to get around it it wouldn’t be very secure now would it.

Also if files are important, they are stored in multiple places, not just one.

Hi

I’m trying to add a 39GB VHD file to a 64GB Sandisk Ultra using SanDisk SecureAccess software - so that is is encrypted.

However after ‘processing’ for a while, the file does not appear in the “My Vault” area.

It seems ok with small files.

Is there are size limit on individual files?

Is there any logging to see what the error is/was?

Thanks

If the file format of the device is FAT32 it can only handle a maximum file size of 4GB.  A FAT32 limitation not the device’s. To exceed that you will need to reformat the drive to NTFS. 

Be sure to backup the files and folders on the drive, including any and all hidden system files and folders,  before formatting it and restore them when done.