SanDisk Extreme 16GB: No "QUICK REMOVAL"-option

Hi forum,

I’ve 2 SanDisk Extreme 3.0 16GB sticks. The elder one (purchased 3 month ago) is configured as quick removal, which is appropriate for USB-Sticks.

I’ve got another one today via Amazon. Surprisingly this stick is programmed for  “Better performance” and this option is not an option as it cannot be changed.

I’ve ordered another 64GB Stick and it’s the same issue. No chance to change to quick removal.

Interestingly a right-click on the elder 16GB Stick offers the option to “eject”.

The new sticks offer no option in the right-click-menu.

So I’m forced to always unhide the safely remove hardware icon to eject the drive which I dislike.

So did SanDisk silently changed their policy and defines these USB-Sticks fundamentally as Disk-Drives?

This is not acceptable.

It should be announced on the box.

If there is no solution I will sent them back for a refund.

Or did I get two faulty parts per chance?

1. issue

The mechanism isn’t working properly. Often the plug is not fixed and the stick loose. So the stick is recognized one time and if not properly plugged in - due to the faulty mechanism - next time not. 

Update: Just tested my first 16GB Stick. Here it’s possible to change from quick removal to better performance and vice versa.

Besides: First stick is called “Removable Disk” under ‘My Computer’, second stick is called  “Local disc”.

So I’m forced to always unhide the safely remove hardware icon to eject the drive which I dislike.”

On Windows XP, 7 and 8 that can be configured to show always, why isn’t it config’ed that way for you?

So did SanDisk silently changed their policy and defines these USB-Sticks fundamentally as Disk-Drives?”

Could be a bad batch, or a counterfeit batch, or used.  Not enough info to know, not to imply if I had more info I would know. :smileyvery-happy:

second stick is called  “Local disc”.”

That definitely doesn’t sound right for a USB flash drive.  That’s for a USB harddrive.  And even with a USB harddrive plugged in the Safely Remove icon shows on my Taskbar.

Thank you for replying.

“On Windows XP, 7 and 8 that can be configured to show always, why isn’t it config’ed that way for you?”

I was talking about the right click menu. There, the eject-item is vanished.

I know about the taskbar item to hide or unhide, but find it not very handy to be forced to have one icon more all the time in my taskbar…

So did SanDisk silently changed their policy and defines these USB-Sticks fundamentally as Disk-Drives?”

What my assumption concerns I was right. SanDisk changed their products to fundamentally Local Disks.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Silent-dead-of-all-USB-Sticks-as-quot-Removable-Disks-quot/td-p/295264

"find it not very handy to be forced to have one icon more all the time in my taskbar…"

Mine are configured to only show when I have a USB drive plugged in, not always.  On Windows 8 I go to the Desktop mode rather than Metro.

What my assumption concerns I was right. SanDisk changed their products to fundamentally Local Disks.

Yes, I saw that.  Wow!!  But if SanDisk is doing it for Windows 8, and it’s UEFI system, I’m sure others will be following too.

"Mine are configured to only show when I have a USB drive plugged in, not always."

Thank you for the hint. It’s just like you said. Now the icon appears in my main rig only if the stick is in use. In my other system it appeared all the time. Both win 7 64. Both set to “show icon and notification”.

I prefer the right-click eject, but this way it’s not a big deal with two left-clicks.

I wonder if there’s a registry hack to regain the right-click-eject-button. It should be possible to edit the right-click menu and add “eject”. Have to research a bit.

Please i need your help if there is any way i can remove write protected from my 4GB sandisk cruiser blade. I can not save or format it, it bring message that my disk is write protected. Thanks in advance.

@bisi wrote:

Please i need your help if there is any way i can remove write protected from my 4GB sandisk cruiser blade. I can not save or format it, it bring message that my disk is write protected. Thanks in advance.

Ooooh, Forum Faux Pas Alert! :dizzy_face:

Smiley      Smiley

I shouldn’t do this, but I’m feeling particularly benevolent and forgiving today . . .

What To Do If Your SanDisk Flash Drive Is Write-Protected?

@SanDisco

Happy to hear your USB eject problem in under control.  Let us know if you find a Right click option.

@bisi

There is no charge for creating your own thread. :wink:

In addition to TapeWorm’s reply you can try this approach which seems to work:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&showtopic=25295&view=findpost&p=173660