San Disk Secure Access V2.0- Vault has disappeared?

Hello, I hope you are able to help me.

I have been using this encripted stick for over 6 months now. Today when I inputted my password to get into the vault, the screen was slightly different. It opened as a new vault.

I am not sure where the old vault is or where the files are that were in it?? Can anyone help?

I have a horrible feeling the new vault has opened over the top of the old one and the old one has gone. If this is the case, is there anyway of getting those files back??

Thank you in advance for you help and support.

Hello,

First you need to make sure that the old vault with all the encrypted files is somewhere to find and was not deleted accidentally or in purpose. When you find it make sure that all the encrypted .dat files are still there.

After that you can try to recover the files from the vault with the following steps:

1. copy the vault and secure access application from the write protected drive over to the new drive

2. run secure access on the new drive

3. when it prompts to create a new vault go ahead and create a new vault with the exact same password as the old vault

4. encrypt any file in the new vault (this will generate two new system files)

5. close secure access

6. open the vault folder on the new drive via windows explorer, navigate to the system files folder, you should see several files, among them are two sets of "USB Flash Drive-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.idx and .bak files

7. Looking at the date stamps of the files, 2 will be older and 2 will be newer (you can also check on the old write protected drive to confirm the names of the older files, the older files contain the encryption information needed however the file name is associated with the previous drive we will need to rename the old files)

8. copy the 2 newer files and paste them into any temporary location outside of the flash drive (i.e… desktop)

9. once you’ve copied the two new files to a temporary location delete the originals from the system files folder on the flash drive.

10. go to the temporary location and copy only the file name from the .idx file (the file name, not the file itself)

11. go to the vault / system files and rename the old .idx file with the name you copied from the new .idx file

12. repeat the same for the idx.bak file

13. now you should have renamed the old .idx and .idx.bak files with the names of the newly generated system files.

I have a horrible feeling the new vault has opened over the top of the old one

Possible but hopefully not the case.

If this is the case, is there anyway of getting those files back??

No, so lets hope that’s not the case.  With the USB drive inserted and SecureAccess not open from a Command Prompt try running CHKDSK on the drive.  Hopefully it will help the original vault to reappear.