Safe removal

I like the design and cost of the Sansa Express so much that when my first stopped working after ten days, I returned to Best Buy and swapped it for another. But as the first one failed, my laptop and my desktop both stopped recognizing it at all (no My Computer E: drive listing, no clue that it was connected other than the two-tone connect sound) and both computers stopped giving me the Safely Remove Hardware option. Now my new Sansa Express, which otherwise seems to be working fine, is showing similar behavior: the laptop’s My Computer window appears with “My Computer\Sansa Express” in the address line, but it’s not identified as the E: drive (as the first one was) and the Safely Remove Hardware icon shows only my DVD drive as a device to be removed. How do I persuade my laptop to recognize the device? How do I safely remove the Sansa Express?

sansa express is a MTP only device. it should not show up with a drive letter. it should just show up as a portable device. to disconnect just make sure no data is being transfered and simply unplug it.

Correct, the player should not show up with a “Safely Remove hardware” icon, as well as its safe to disconnect, as long as it does not state “Writing” on the front of the device.

I love how vista shows an icon for portable devices,  It acually shows a photo of the sansa express.

With older firmware the Sansa Express shows up as a disk drive, with newer ones as a portable device. Updating the firmware will change the mode from MSC to MTP.

hect0rsan wrote:
With older firmware the Sansa Express shows up as a disk drive, with newer ones as a portable device. Updating the firmware will change the mode from MSC to MTP.

Sansa express was always a MTP only device regardless of the firmware version.

Wow–on my Vista it doesn’t show up when I have it plugged into a USB port-it is not being recognized at all but it is charging.  It worked the first time I used it-my husband charged it and put a few tunes on it.  Then when I unplugged it the other day after charging it -the display said it was still connected to my PC and just kept flashing that until the battery went dead.  I have an Express 1GB-I am about to take it back and just get a refund.  This is my first MP3 Player so the experience has not been pleasant!

Message Edited by JAZ on 08-17-2007 01:18 PM

next time that happens - try holding Volume + and center square.  Should turn off instantly.