rockbox firmware issues

i tried rockbox since someone pointed that i MIGHT be a way to recover lost tracks on a external sd card , i lost half the tracks cause the player couldnt read them all of the sudden and screwed up the folders a bit

so besided it wasnt solved i have some issues now :

can i get back to normal firmware btw ?

1. there are no more MTP or MSC options , are those not in the rockbox settings ?

2. navigating is a bit confusing- eg how can you get the player to start playback GLOBALLY all tracks from internal + external (sd card) in one go- meaning if you start one track in shuffle mode that the player generates a shuffle playlist with ALL FILES not just of the current subfolder. with the normal firmware that was not a problem but now with the odd navigation menus … :frowning:

3. its too loud, it ranges from -80 to +6 db in volumelevel, which would be the highest volumelevel in the NORMAL FIRMWARE mode ? i dont know but i was getting a headache quit fast

plus i wanted to format and retry in msc mode altogether relaunch all…  since i cannot find msc anymore, can i just format the drive in windows ? 

another eg : how can you generate a playlist of all the tracks on the external memory /sdcard

@baracus wrote:

i tried rockbox since someone pointed that i MIGHT be a way to recover lost tracks on a external sd card , i lost half the tracks cause the player couldnt read them all of the sudden and screwed up the folders a bit

No rockbox is a replacement firmware for the deivce, but it won’t help you recover files from an SD card.  You’ll need a PC to do that.

@baracus wrote:

can i get back to normal firmware btw ?

Sure, by default its dual boot.  Hold left when booting (see the manual if you need more info).

@baracus wrote:

1. there are no more MTP or MSC options , are those not in the rockbox settings ?

Nope, rockbox is MSC only.

@baracus wrote:

navigating is a bit confusing- eg how can you get the player to start playback GLOBALLY all tracks from internal + external (sd card) in one go- meaning if you start one track in shuffle mode that the player generates a shuffle playlist with ALL FILES not just of the current subfolder.

Sounds like you want to use the database.  Well that or make a playlist containing both file systems and then play it with the order set to random.  But database is probably easier unless you really want to browse by the file system.

@baracus wrote:

1. its too loud, it ranges from -80 to +6 db in volumelevel, which would be the highest volumelevel in the NORMAL FIRMWARE mode ? i dont know but i was getting a headache quit fast

Err, if its too loud, lower the volume :slight_smile:

I think in the US and Asia, the sandisk firmware maxes out at about 0dB or a bit higher, while in the EU its volume capped to about -15dB max.

@baracus wrote:

another eg : how can you generate a playlist of all the tracks on the external memory /sdcard

I don’t use playlists much, but I think you can select the <microsd1> folder, long click it, and then choose playlist >  insert. 

INTERESTING

does that lead to complication if i use BOTH firmwares? i mean sometimes the rockbox sometimes the “default”

hm if i not hold left while booting now appears : LOADING FIRMWARE  FILE NOT FOUND   and nothing happens

does this happen once you “hold left” while booting or is it somehow corrupted ? how can i get back to normal?

is it ok to use both firmwares when using the player?

(cause it seems i cannot install the normal firmware anymore once installed is installed. at  least if i try manually and with sansa updater i get no change)

is there a manual for rockbox ? especially for database ? since it looks like im gonna have to use this … to get a grip

@baracus wrote:

(cause it seems i cannot install the normal firmware anymore once installed is installed. at  least if i try manually and with sansa updater i get no change)

is there a manual for rockbox ? especially for database ? since it looks like im gonna have to use this … to get a grip

You should have looked at it before you installed.…:dizzy_face:

http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

@marvin_martian wrote:

@baracus wrote:

You should have looked at it before you installed.…:dizzy_face:

http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

Make that _ studied _ it! :stuck_out_tongue:

@baracus wrote:

hm if i not hold left while booting now appears : LOADING FIRMWARE  FILE NOT FOUND   and nothing happens

does this happen once you “hold left” while booting or is it somehow corrupted ? how can i get back to normal?

That means the .rockbox folder is missing. Did you delete it?

Rockbox indeed might seem a bit complex at first, just because it offers so much. My recommendation: just start small, using what you want and know about, and add to it over time. Also, SKIM THE MANUAL and note things that you might like to try/check out further and come back to later, as part of this–this helps avoid an info. overload, in my experience. As to whether having both the OF and Rockbox is complex, not really, as you use one at a time–the only complexity might be in remembering, at times, which firmware does what (altho Rockbox does more than the OF, so that might answer any question at a time)! :slight_smile: