registration problem- serial number

Hello everyone.
I just bought sansa clip, and I’m really satisfied.
But i cant find the serial number for registration.
I triad to look at properties, as suggested in other posts, but cant find anything in both usb moods.
The tabs i see is: general, automatic activation, tools, hardware and sharing.
In none of them theres anyting that even resemble a serial number.
I have XP+spa2

Liz

There are two serial numbers for your Clip. Look on the lower side of the player, below the control “wheel”. The serial number is laser etched into the paintwork on that bottom edge. This number is actually a production / type number.

If you connect to the PC in MTP mode, go to My Computer and right-click on the Sansa Clip if it is appearing under “other devices” as Sansa Clip. Select Properties, and you will see a battery icon, with the serial number listed. It’s a LONG 32 digit string; the first 16 digits are the number.

If the Sansa has a drive letter assigned to it like E:SANSA CLIP, you’re in MSC mode, and the serial number won’t display.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-05-2008 04:53 PM

This may work with XP Home but it doesn’t work with XP Professional.  Any idea how to do it with XP Pro?  When I right click “SanDisk Sansa Clip” under Audio Devices (no drive letter so MTP mode) I get choices of Explore, Open, and Format.

You just need the date code that is located at the base of the device.  Not really a serial number. 

Go Sansa!

I had the same problem, there were no “properties” for the Clip under “my computer”. Here’s how I finally found the serial number:

1. Make sure your Clip is in MTP mode, and connect.

2. Go to start/control panel, double click “system”

3. In system properties box, click “hardware” tab, then “device manager”

4. Click on + sign next to “Windows Portable Devices” at the bottom of the list, under this will be “SanDisk Sansa Clip”

5. RIGHT click on Clip device and select “Properties”

6. Click “Details” tab; the first item shown in the drop-down box should be “Device Instance ID”, and in the large window under this will be a text string that looks something like this:

USB\VID_0781&PID_7432\FF0AD1739220B64F0000000000000000

Your serial is the 16-digit number beginning with the “F” after the last slash, and ending before the zeros. So, in this example, the serial number would be “FF0AD1739220B64F”.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by melodian on 01-19-2009 11:56 AM

@steveg wrote:
This may work with XP Home but it doesn’t work with XP Professional.  Any idea how to do it with XP Pro?  When I right click “SanDisk Sansa Clip” under Audio Devices (no drive letter so MTP mode) I get choices of Explore, Open, and Format.

I have XP Professional SP3, and in MTP mode under My Computer I right-click “Sansa Clip 8GB” and get Explore, Open, Create Shortcut, Rename, Properties.

My Clip appears under the heading, “Other” in My Computer.  How are you getting to “Audio Devices”?  Do you have Window Media Player 10 or 11?

melodian

The first item shown in the drop-down box for me is:
STORAGE\REMOVABLEMEDIA\7&31ECD68&0&RM
Nothing in the drop-down box look like what you wrote.

thank you,
liz

jkj1962
I have Window Media Player 9, which i don’t use at all.

thank you,
liz

@lliz wrote:
jkj1962
I have Window Media Player 9, which i don’t use at all.

thank you,
liz

You’re seeing something different because MTP isn’t fully supported under Windows XP unless WMP10 or 11 is installed because they include updated MTP drivers.

Thank you

I will update my Window Media Player.

Liz