Problems with Win7 64-bit

Anybody else having issues that may be due to Win 7 (64 bit)?  For one, I am unable to put the device in MTP mode.  An XP machine recognizes MTP mode just fine, but not Win 7.  I have tried suggestions from all the posted messages I could find for creating playlists under MSC mode, but none of them work.  As others have noted, the tunes are transferred, but no playlists are created.  And since I can’t enter MTP mode, I am unable to attempt any methods that use this mode.  I wouldn’t mind the lack of MTP mode so much if there was a way to create playlists under MSC.  Anybody running Win 7 with no issues?

Have you tried my method for creating playlists in MSC mode using Winamp? I know that works.

I’ve had no issues with the player and Win7, MTP or MSC mode.

I was hoping to avoid installing Winamp, but I’ll give it a try.  I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to try it.  Thanis.

@rezn8r wrote:

Anybody else having issues that may be due to Win 7 (64 bit)? 

I’m in Win 7 x64 and I am able to access folders easily in MTP mode, but I recall having problems with the original Clip (v1.0) in that mode…

Tapeworm–

Partial success.  I can create and access a playlist in the external card, but not one created on internal memory.  This is very odd.  If I double click on the playlist on the internal card, WMP (!) pops up and starts playing the playlist!  So the playlist is good, it’s in the MUSIC subdirectory, but the player isn’t seeing it.

@rezn8r wrote:

Tapeworm–

Partial success.  I can create and access a playlist in the external card, but not one created on internal memory.  This is very odd.  If I double click on the playlist on the internal card, WMP (!) pops up and starts playing the playlist!  So the playlist is good, it’s in the MUSIC subdirectory, but the player isn’t seeing it.

Probably ned to remove the file extension associations for WMP in Windows. Your internal memory wasn’t loaded in MTP (or Auto Defect) mode, was it?

The problem is on the PC with Windows 7 and WiMP12.  (Media Player 12 is standard with Win 7).

You can fix  the MTP  connection as follows:

Turn on the Clip and go to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and manually select MTP.   This will hold the device in MTP mode.

Plug in your device, and open the Device Manager.  Click on the Sansa under Portable Device and select Properties, then select uninstall  while connected.  I know this sounds counterintuitive, but what you are doing by this operation is telling the PC to clear the registry entry for the recognized device.

Unplug the Sansa, and wait about 30 seconds for the operation to complete (or to be sure, restart the PC, but you shouldn’t have to with Windows 7).

Now plug in the Sansa once again, in a few seconds, it will show “connected” on its display, and you will then see a popup stating “new device found, MTP Device”.  This should do the trick.  Once the PC registers the device, MTP should now work.

The biggest advantage to using MTP is that playlists  can be built using Windows Explorer (via a right click on your music), or with Windows Media Player, and playlists are possible using both the internal and external memory, as pla  format playlists.

The downside of the MSC / MTP communications difference with the Clip or Clip Zip is that the USB controller in the Sansa onlyworks with one mode at a time,so music transferred in one mode is “invisible” to the PC while in the other mode, so you need to have all of your music transferred in one mode.  The Fuze+  has a different controller that allows both transfers to be accessed simultaneously.

Bob  :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Probably ned to remove the file extension associations for WMP in Windows. Your internal memory wasn’t loaded in MTP (or Auto Defect) mode, was it?

I’m not worried about the file association, just used that as an example that the playlist itself is functional.  Since I’ve never been able to get my player to function in MTP mode, the files have only been loaded in MSC.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Plug in your device, and open the Device Manager.  Click on the Sansa under Portable Device and select Properties, then select uninstall  while connected.  I know this sounds counterintuitive, but what you are doing by this operation is telling the PC to clear the registry entry for the recognized device.

I’ve got bigger problems than that.  Under MTP mode, the Sansa does not show up in Device Manager.  Windows honks to recognize the device when I plug it in, but I get an exclamation mark on one of the USB Mass Storage Device icons and that’s as far as I ever get with things.  Thanks for the help though.  I’m assuming there’s a device driver conflict somewhere.  Quite aggravating.

Thanks,

Jim

@rezn8r wrote:

I’ve got bigger problems than that.  Under MTP mode, the Sansa does not show up in Device Manager.  Windows honks to recognize the device when I plug it in, but I get an exclamation mark on one of the USB Mass Storage Device icons and that’s as far as I ever get with things.  Thanks for the help though.  I’m assuming there’s a device driver conflict somewhere.  Quite aggravating.

That’s what you need to uninstall, so Windows can fix or assign the correct driver upon re-starting and plugging in the player.

That’s what you need to uninstall, so Windows can fix or assign the correct driver upon re-starting and plugging in the player.

Well, I would have sworn I had already tried that, but I decided to give it another shot, uninstalled the exclamation entry and rebooted.  This time it came up with the SanDisk information screen and the proper entry under Device Manager - Portable Devices.  Thank you so much.  I’ve yet to attempt reloading files under MTP and creating a playlist, but this is real progress!  Thank you, thank you.

Do the following steps :-

1. Unplug the player
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select System Settings
  4. Select USB Mode
  5. Change the USB Mode from Auto Detect to MSC
  6. Plug your player back into your PC

@mdas wrote:

1. Unplug the player
  2. Select Settings
  4. Select USB Mode

This wasn’t the issue, but thanks for your feedback.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The problem is on the PC with Windows 7 and WiMP12.  (Media Player 12 is standard with Win 7).

Turn on the Clip and go to Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and manually select MTP.   This will hold the device in MTP mode.

Unplug the Sansa, and wait about 30 seconds for the operation to complete (or to be sure, restart the PC, but you shouldn’t have to with Windows 7).

Now plug in the Sansa once again, in a few seconds, it will show “connected” on its display, and you will then see a popup stating “new device found, MTP Device”.  This should do the trick.  Once the PC registers the device, MTP should now work.

The biggest advantage to using MTP is that playlists  can be built using Windows Explorer (via a right click on your music), or with Windows Media Player, and playlists are possible using both the internal and external memory, as pla  format playlists.

The downside of the MSC / MTP communications difference with the Clip or Clip Zip is that the USB controller in the Sansa onlyworks with one mode at a time,so music transferred in one mode is “invisible” to the PC while in the other mode, so you need to have all of your music transferred in one mode.  The Fuze+  has a different controller that allows both transfers to be accessed simultaneously.

Bob, thanks for helping me out.  Once I rebuilt the error-marked USB entry, MTP works fine.  I’ve managed to put together some .PLA playlists that work, though I haven’t mastered the finer points of creating and editing the things.

Jim N.

Awesome.  Windows stores a “cheat sheet” telling it what to do with a device when it is recognized.  This is the registry entry that lets your computer recognize a familiar device faster the next time it is plugged in.

The registry also tells the computer which applications to use with the device.

When something goes wrong, as it happens every now and again, a registry entry can become corrupted, and the computer cannot communicate properly with the device.  This can, in turn, create a second problem- it can look like there’s something wrong with your Sansa, since things go wrong every time it is plugged in.  The computer goes back to its registry entry, and does the same wrong thing every time.

When a USB device is plugged in, the computer checks the device for identification or a device serial number.  By uninstalling the device, you are clearing that entry to allow the computer to build a new one.  Typically,  if something goes wrong on the MTP side, manually setting the device to MTP allows you to uninstall this side.  The Sansa, if it cannot connect in MTP (obviously), will then revert to MSC if Auto Detect is selected, and establish a connection.  This is why switching to MSC often solves the issue for many folks.

In your case, Tapeworm  hit on an interesting point, and that was to uninstall the device by looking for the yellow triangle of doom in Device Manager.  This can often help in pinpointing a problem.

Glad to hear that your are back in business!!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@mdas wrote:

1. Unplug the player
  2. Select Settings
  4. Select USB Mode

THIS DID IT FOR ME!!!

I’m using a Sansa Clip Zip 8 GB w/the Amazon.com-recommended Sandisk 32GB microSDHC card.  To be fair, the Clip says you’re supposed to install a CD to get started but I refuse to install anything extra in my already slow and glitchy/crashy, brand spanking new, I7 sandy bridge-based, windows 7 64-bit Asus N53 POS.

The getting started says just plug it in and plug it in.  Well, that failed miserably.  I couldn’t format from the device unplugged.  I couldn’t format from the computer plugged.  I tried to previous method of switching to MTP and deleting the device… fail.  After a day of trying everything I could think of I found this.

Now I’m listening to muddy waters and bo diddley flacs from my external card. 

THANK YOU. 

ps, Sandisk you need to get your poop together with this device, It shouldn’t take an hour of searching the internet to find this answer.

ps, Microsoft.  Windows 7 absolutely sux.  My wife’s Macbook Pro is faster, more stable, more intuitive and better looking.  I’m a long time microsoft fan/professional developer and I couldn’t be more disappointed in my new ASUS N53.  I can’t believe how slow it gets sometimes and it makes me angry to think I paid the premium for sandy bridge and for what?  To wait for IE to respond as slowly as it does on my 6 year old Dell running XP?  This is your last chance with me, you are done.  Next stop is a Macbook for me.

The CD that comes with the Clip is totally unneeded (unless you want what it offers):  it contains the software for the Rhapsody subscription music service, which is totally optional. 

If you need the latest firmware for the Clips, it’s at the top of this forum in sticky threads.  As are the product user manuals. 

Sansa Clip Zip vs. Windows 7 with CA Security Suite anti virus.   Tried the uninstall suggestion, no help.  Windows & says no driver found no driver installed.  When I they to update firmware noting happens beside the area above the work screen (Top tool bar) flashes.  Still get Sansa Clip Zip with yellow triangle in device manager.  Clip Zip works fine with Linux or XP machines so it’s not the device itself, tech support had me replace my original Clip Zip.

My two Zips both work just fine with Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit…either with or without Rockbox installed. And I love Win 7.