Problem With Music Tags

I recently bought and installed a microSD card in my v2 8gb sansa fuze. When I did this I formatted my device so that I could resync my entire library (not everything fit previously). I also changed the USB mode to MSC before re-syncing as I heard it is the better mode. I use windows media player for my device and after re-syncing all the files back onto my fuze/SDcard I have a hundred or so songs that appear with unknown artists, even though I have the artist and song name filled out in WMP. I’m pretty unfamiliar with working with song tags, so I would appreciate some simple instructions on why this is happening and how I can fix it.

There’s great free software called mp3tag to make sure the Fuze can read your tags–putting them in the Fuze-friendly version.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. (That’s standard Windows encoding, which should have come from your WMP, but…)

Take the problem album off your Fuze. In the version on the computer,  Right click, and just below Search… you should see mp3tag. Click it, mp3tag will list the files.Highlight them all, make sure there’s correct information in Title, Artist, Album, etc. Blank out any comments. Save. That will make them all ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 and the Sansa should read them.

1 Like

Also, you can do this the easy but a long way since you have a lot of songs. On a desktop, right click on the song file and click properties. You can either the tag manually. Not sure if you can select multiple files and tag them at once though.

The point of mp3tag is bulk tag changes. Song by song is ridiculous. 

A little confused, I’ve installed mp3tag and have edited the options so that it only writes ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, however I do not quite understand how I apply this to the album (there’s more than one, but for explanation’s sake…) that I’m having trouble with.

@shweed wrote:

A little confused, I’ve installed mp3tag and have edited the options so that it only writes ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, however I do not quite understand how I apply this to the album (there’s more than one, but for explanation’s sake…) that I’m having trouble with.

With the default Write setings changed, just open up your problem album(s)/folder(s) in MP3Tag, highlight them and hit the SAVE icon. Done.

You should be able to right-click on the album folder and have mp3tag among the Open With options. That will list all the mp3s–highlight them, save.

If mp3tag is not among the Open With options, you could either reinstall it (and allow that option as you install) or open mp3tag first and then navigate to the album. 

Thanks a lot to Tapeworm and Black Rectangle, solved a massive problem that I had almost given up on!

I have the problem of installing music onto the player and it show genre as unknown even though I previously had these songs on the player with the correct genre. I went to mp3tag and tried to install, but did not get the option to add to context menus. In fact, the only thing that did install was 7zip, something I did not want.

I have the problem of installing music onto the player and it show genre as unknown even though I previously had these songs on the player with the correct genre. I went to mp3tag and tried to install, but did not get the option to add to context menus. In fact, the only thing that did install was 7zip, something I did not want.

Sorry for the repost, I’m only doing it with the email me when someone replies selected.

@mcem wrote:

I have the problem of installing music onto the player and it show genre as unknown even though I previously had these songs on the player with the correct genre. _ I went to mp3tag and tried to install, but did not get the option to add to context menus. In fact, the only thing that did install was 7zip _, something I did not want.

Sounds like you clicked on the wrong link to download mp3tag. 7-Zip is not part of it. Here’s the direct link

mp3tagv255setup.exe

@mcem wrote:

Sorry for the repost, I’m only doing it with the email me when someone replies selected.

I believe you can do this using the Options link in the upper right-hand corner of your post. No need for duplicate messages.

i still can’t install mp3tag, i can’t even post a reply

Did you click on the link in my post? It takes you to the Download page. Then click on the file name (which is also a link) mp3tagv255setup.exe on that page. This should give you a pop-up box asking if you want to save or run this executable file. I just tried it and it works fine. Does your A/V software or Firewall on your computer block downloads? You may have to adjust their settings or temporarily turn them off.

Click SAVE and save it to your desktop or Temp folder, somewhere where you can get to it easily. Once on your computer, all you have to do is double-click the flle and it will self-install.