Proper Tags are Noshow on Fuze

My music collection is being ripped to Flac and converted using LAME to MP3. As far as I can tell, all the songs have been properly converted with their tags in tact, but when I transfer the files and folders over to the fuze, all I get is a list of file names.

Am I missing something? This hardly seems intuitive.

Your MP3 files need proper ID3v2.3 ISO tags.  Try downloading MP3Tag, a very nice utility, to check the tags.

This is one advantage of using Windows Media Player, as the tags are pulled from a known database.  There are many programs out there that may help, like Media Monkey- even Rhapsody pulls the tag data from the Internet aether when ripping from the home CD collection!

As long as you have MP3 files of the proper bitrate range, the Fuze should play them.  Have a look at those tags.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Bob:Thanks for responding so quickly.

No go! I’m on Linux, and using Ex Falso to check my ID3 tags that were written by another application. And as far as I can tell, they all seem up to snuff. I’ve been spending hte past 20 minites or so trying to delete and append info to the existing tags, which seem fine, with no results.

Maybe the app I used to convert my collection just wrote incorrect headers when it made the tags. If I make any progress, I’ll pos, just in case some linux users here are having similar problems.

Like Bob said, make sure the tags are in id3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) format.  I’m guessing that coming from Linux, your tags are probably in id3v2.3 UTF-16 or id3v2.4 UTF-8 format.  These are typically the defaults for Linux apps, but hardly any portable players supports them.

Dejectedly, I say, you are correct Skinjob.

Ah well. Thanks for your help, both of you.

Still, plenty of happy Linux users here.  Try changing the format to the specified ISO format.  I think MP3Tag can do it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

MP3Tag can do it, but it’s unfortunately a Windows-only application.  EasyTAG is looks good and is available for Windows and pretty much all Linux distributions. It can convert between the various character sets.

Actually, Mp3tag will work in Linux under WINE.

We’ll i also encountered some problems with the ID3 tags and tried to find out why:

• you should use ID3v2.3 rather than ID3v2.4 (although ID3v2.4 works for me, too)

• UTF-16 works fine but be sure that all other tags are also UTF-16

My Sansa Fuze have problems if i mixed up UTF-16 and Latin_1.

Hope this will help you. 

BTW I’m using kid3 with Kubuntu Linux 

@jd24 wrote:

We’ll i also encountered some problems with the ID3 tags and tried to find out why:

• you should use ID3v2.3 rather than ID3v2.4 (although ID3v2.4 works for me, too)
  • UTF-16 works fine but be sure that all other tags are also UTF-16

My Sansa Fuze have problems if i mixed up UTF-16 and Latin_1.

Hope this will help you. 

BTW I’m using kid3 with Kubuntu Linux 

Interesting.  It appears then that the Fuze is able to read ID3v2.4 tags, which are invisible to the e200 series players.

My tags are still not showing up correctly on my Fuze.

I have the correct tag format, all tha tgood stuff yet the artist names are still being cut off.  The titles don’t get cut off, just the artist names (if it’s too long).  It’s just annoying and no one seems to be able to give me a good answer so I just give up.

The truncation of the displayed artist is a known issue.  I believe (just off-hand, as the coffee hasn’t finished yet) that the listing is held to 30 characters currently.

Yes, those classical listings are annoying at times, as are the multiple artist credits.

You can experiment with the limit by using alphabet soup: temporarily name a field in MP3Tag abcdefghijklmnopqrstu…etc, and see how this 26 letter “yardstick” pans out on the device.  Start from “a” again and see how many characters you can find.

Just be sure to rename the field and retransfer afterwards.

Bob  :wink:

I really appreciate all of the help and information.

I tried removing all non UTF-16 formatted files but that didn’t work either. So I took Skinjob’s advice and installed EasyTAG. It was available in Ubuntu 8.04’s software repository and installed easily with sudo apt-get install easytag.

Good suggestion Skinjob. I mean this is, for me, an intuitive piece of software. I went in, said I wanted it to write in ISO 8859-1, and just imported and resaved everything. It worked beautifully. Really really appreciate it.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The truncation of the displayed artist is a known issue.  I believe (just off-hand, as the coffee hasn’t finished yet) that the listing is held to 30 characters currently.

Yes, those classical listings are annoying at times, as are the multiple artist credits.

You can experiment with the limit by using alphabet soup: temporarily name a field in MP3Tag abcdefghijklmnopqrstu…etc, and see how this 26 letter “yardstick” pans out on the device.  Start from “a” again and see how many characters you can find.

Just be sure to rename the field and retransfer afterwards.

Bob  :wink:

Thanks for the info, you’re the first one to actually give me a straight answer.  Everyone else was telling me they didn’t have the problem, etc…

So do you think this will be corrected in future firmware updates?

There are two things that I currently dislike about my Fuze, this being one of them and the other is the lack of a good way to search albums/artists etc…    Hopefully SanDisk will address these two issues.

@corgan wrote:
I really appreciate all of the help and information.

I tried removing all non UTF-16 formatted files but that didn’t work either. So I took Skinjob’s advice and installed EasyTAG. It was available in Ubuntu 8.04’s software repository and installed easily with sudo apt-get install easytag.

Good suggestion Skinjob. I mean this is, for me, an intuitive piece of software. I went in, said I wanted it to write in ISO 8859-1, and just imported and resaved everything. It worked beautifully. Really really appreciate it.

No problem.  Glad it helped.  I was previously aware of EasyTAG from various forums, but I didn’t realize until now that it was available for Windows as well.  I think it could be the best free tag editor out there for any platform.