Portable Device driver fails to load???

I get this occasionally when I plug in my Sansa Fuze 4G to the computer: 

MTP WPD Driver has failed to start. Error 0x8007001f.

I'm using the Microsoft wpdusb.sys driver dated 10/18/2006.  This is their driver for managing portable devices.  I feel that something I'm using is walking on top of the driver.  I did discover that Winamp was loading it's own portable device driver.  I uninstalled Winamp and reloaded it without that option.  I thought that had fixed the problem.  The driver does work immediately after I have rebooted the system, but later, after various applications have been run, it fails.  Are there other known programs that intefere with the Microsoft driver?

Oh yeah, another thing I've noticed is that occasionally I get read errors on my USB portable disk drive whenever the Sansa Fuse 4G is plugged in.  I did have to use chkdsk /f one time to fix a disk error.  I think these errors have always occurred when the 4G is being synced by Windows Media Player.  Usually I unplug the Fuze 4G after the Sync has finished.

Is this the latest driver for this?

Running Win XP Pro, SP3.

Thanks,

Mike

The drivers are in Windows Media Player 10 or 11. Plugging in other portable devices may confuse WMP. The first step for driver problems is just to reinstall or upgrade WMP. 2006 sounds pretty old.

To attack this problem another way, do you really need WMP? Are you using music with DRM (digital rights muck) information, which would require WMP?  Because if you don’t have DRM, you can use simpler, less touchy MSC mode–even synching with programs like Winamp or Media Monkey–and avoid all the WMP complications. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

The drivers are in Windows Media Player 10 or 11. Plugging in other portable devices may confuse WMP. The first step for driver problems is just to reinstall or upgrade WMP. 2006 sounds pretty old.

To attack this problem another way, do you really need WMP? Are you using music with DRM (digital rights muck) information, which would require WMP?  Because if you don’t have DRM, you can use simpler, less touchy MSC mode–even synching with programs like Winamp or Media Monkey–and avoid all the WMP complications. 

I agree, reinstall WMP for the MTP drivers ,in case you want to stick with MTP mode(I wouldn’t) but don’t use it. MediaMonkey, Winamp, J.River Media Jukebox…all are better than WMP.

Ok, how do I extract myself from this mess?  I have a couple dozen playlists on the Fuze 4G and around 1000 tunes.  All put there using WMP V11.

Do I uninstall Windows Media Player?  Outside of the just recent use of it for audio, the only other thing I use it for is for viewing AVI and WMV video files.  What would replace the video usage?

I have the latest free version of Winamp and could uninstall and reinstall it and use their Portable Media drivers.

But, would I need to delete and reload all my music files on the Fuze?  How do you do a mass delete? 

Actually I DO NOT LIKE the WMP method of storing music.  I have everying in different folders on my hard disk and would life for my Fuze to mirror that setup.  I don’t care for Artist, Album, etc.  Just show me the folder name and the file name - that’s all I need or want.  In other words, just a simple file directory structure.

Mike

NO, don’t uninstall WMP. Just don’t use it for the Fuze. Go to Settings/USB Mode and switch to MSC and Windows Media Player won’t grab the Fuze when you connect. 

About folders: Have you updated to the latest firmware for the Fuze? Look in the sticky notes (top of the first page of the forum) and follow the instructions there. 

Then, look under Music and you’ll see…FOLDERS! Folder navigation has been added to the firmware. 

But grouping by Artist, Album etc. is actually quite useful, since you can find music according to many different parameters even if you forgot what you named the folder or files. Those are listed from ID3 tags that are part of the mp3 files. It’s worth reading a little about ID3 tags in the bottom part of this FAQ.

You can probably just leave your current files on the Fuze if you want. It can find all the music that is in its memory. But if you’re going to be moving things back and forth to your computer, you might prefer to start anew in MSC mode, which makes your Fuze act like any other disc drive.

In MSC, you can just drag and drop music onto the Fuze, create new folders, etc.  You don’t need to go through any other program–just open the Fuze in My Computer and move stuff into it, or make a folder of your own.  (Two drives show up in My Computer: the internal memory and then the card slot.)  Programs like Winamp and Media Monkey will make playlists in MSC mode if you like playlists. 

As I said, the Fuze itself can see every music file that’s on it. But through your computer, the Fuze can only see files transferred through EITHER MTP mode (via WMP) or MSC mode–one at a time, not both. 

So if, for your own sanity, you want to start over and use MSC for all your music,  you can go to  Settings/System Settings and Format to wipe EVERYTHING out that was added. Make sure you have copies of the music elsewhere–once you format, it is gone.