Playlists with windows media player

So, I already searched and could not find anything to help solve my problem.  I am not the most computer savy person in the world, but cannot figure out why this will not work.

I can create a play list in windows media player - select to sync it, it says it has been synced, but the playlist list in my fuze simply has the golis.  In MTP mode, nothing happens, in MSC mode I just get a second copy of the song in the same file as the first, but no playlists???

Thanks in advance

If I right click on a particular song in windows explorer and create playlist - I can make a playlist, but it only has one song and I cannot add to it, apparently I am very computer challenged and need help!!!

I can make a playlist with windows media player, but it will not sync to my fuze correctly -in one mode, nothing happens, in another mode I just get a second copy of my song.

I couldn’t figure out how to add playlists to the Fuze with WMP so I switched to MediaMonkey.  Works great.  There’s a way to create the playlist directly on the Fuze through windows explorer if you can get the option to show on the explorer window.  The playlist can be edited in WMP.  I haven’t tried it so I can’t say much more about it.

Message Edited by Rob22315 on 02-01-2010 05:14 AM

I tried media monkey last night as well.   I could create it with my files on the laptop - but then it would put two copies on the fuze - if I tried creating with the files on the fuze - it would do nothing!!! 

I know I am not a computer genius, but I usually can follow simple instructions, but this one has be frustrated beyond all belief.

Scotty, why don’t you try some of the other ways of creating a playlist, rather than beating your head against the WMP wall. There are at least 2 (if not more) playlist creation programs created by other members here (here’s one) as well as step-by-step directions on how to do it with Winamp (free version is OK).

Like I said, there are more; you should be able to ferret them out easily using the Search function here. :smiley:

I will try the others - I tried media monkey last night - but gave up when I had probs and it got late, I will try the others when I get a chance later this week

its very very very easy, just rclick the files/folders you want in each play list, and choose create playlist IN WINDOWS EXPLORER, its cake, really this is the easiest way to manage playlists on a fuze in my experience, I have tried using m3u(winamp) and other apps to make play lists and…well its just more work.

he one tip I will give, do not move playlists to the playlist folder, put folder playlists INSIDE the folder the files are located in.

if you dig around these forums and the anythingbutipod forums i have posted guides on making playlists(b4 i got banned for pissing off the microsoft zune rep by questioning his BS and doubletalk) 

thank you thank you thank you,  I think some of my problem was I was trying to save the playlist in the playlist file (made sense to me!!!).  Anyway, with winamp I was able to get things to work.

I believe your problems with wmp may be a sign of problems with your computer or your fuze.  You should be able to do things in this order: create a playlist in WMP, add songs to playlist (using WMP), save playlist (with WMP), connect Fuze, add playlist to Fuze. There are two easy ways of adding the playlist to your Fuze. The first: click Sync Tab to bring up your Fuze, then drag your saved playlist to the Sync area, then hit the Sync button. The second: right-click the icon of your Fuze in the left hand pane of WMP, and choose “set up sync”, then simply choose which playlists you want to automatically sync when you hook up your Fuze. If these steps do not work, you have a functionality problem that shouldn’t be ignored, as it may point to larger problems.

Message Edited by dave2001 on 02-04-2010 05:19 AM

I tried what you’ve suggested with WMP and ran into a problem.  WMP tried to copy multiple playlists separately creating multiple copies of the same song.  MediaMonkey recognized some songs were duplicates and only copied the new songs onto the player.

Could have been operator or computer error but I’ve had much better success managing multiple playlists with MM than WMP.

Rob22315 wrote:

I tried what you’ve suggested with WMP and ran into a problem.  WMP tried to copy multiple playlists separately creating multiple copies of the same song.   MediaMonkey recognized some songs were duplicates and only copied the new songs onto the player.

Could have been operator or computer error but I’ve had much better success managing multiple playlists with MM than WMP.

I believe it will do this if the player is in MSC mode, but not in MTP.

Yes, you’ll run into all kinds of problems with Win Media Player if you’re set on MSC (Mass Storage Class). The “MTP, MSC, Auto” choice is in the system settings menu under USB Mode. If using WMP, or if your syncing with “subscription” stuff from a music site, or playing DRM music, you’ll need to use MTP (media transfer protocol).  MTP is alot simpler if you have everything set up right. It gives you quick syncing, and easy playlist transfer. However, MSC gives you alot more control over what actually happens with your files and your Fuze. For instance, in MSC mode you can copy files FROM your Fuze TO the hard-drive on your computer. MSC mode is also much more compatible with other devices, like stereo head-units, etc.  MSC mode takes a bit more effort and learning to utilize properly, but it can be a powerful tool.