PLAYLISTS... NOT using WMP. Is it really THAT difficult?

Bleach_FAN wrote:

well, the box does say Windows XP/Vista with WMP.

We all know its compatible with other OS’.  I am sure you can find articles about how to get playlists on the E200 using linux or something which will work for the clip too

See, somebody found a tool for MSC M3U playlists on E200, which works for the clip.  The information is out there :slight_smile:

Actually, the tools for the E2x00 don’t work on the Clip.  Those tools convert the m3a file to the pla format.  The news is that the Clip support m3a natively, which means you don’t have to mess with tools at all.  Even better!

Hi,

Can someone post up a working m3u playlist file?  I’ve tried loading a couple, but the playlist ends up being blank on the Clip.  I assume it’s got something to do with the format of the file path and would like to see what’s working for folks.

Thanks!

Absolutely! With hundreds of MP3 players out there that operate like a flash drive–drag and drop right out of the box–why ask me to learn and go through a program I don’t like (WMP)? It’s almost like MP3 players from 10 years ago that made us learn their kludge program to use it How retro! What a fossil!

Drag and drop works, is quick, and I suspect VERY easy to program in this day and age. PLEASE!  If you want to improve your firmware…let my computer recognize the Clip as a drive and let me drag and drop… even if it means I can’t make playlists!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone …

With MediaMonkey, you can select songs on your player (while in MSC mode) and create a playlist.  The playlist gets stored to your MediaMonkey library.  Then you right-click on the playlist, select Send To -> .m3u playlist, and save the playlist on your Clip.  Done.

for folks using Linux, Mac or other Unix-like OSs, here’s what I’ve found works on Ubuntu:

-Copy the music files to the MUSIC directory on the Sansa
-Create the m3u playlist in amarok (or whatever app you use).
-Replace all of the ‘/’ with ''
-Strip out any extraneous location information
-Save the file to your computer
-Convert the Unix line feeds to DOS line feeds either using the appropriate option in your text editor, or using an program such as unix2dos
-Copy the m3u file to the ‘MUSIC’ directory on the Clip
-unmount
-disconnect, let it refresh the database and you should have playlists

Here’s the format of the m3u file.  My files are stored in a directory structure that looks like MUSIC->Aritst->Album->song files

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:169,Honky Tonk Man
Dwight Yoakam\The Very Best Of Dwight Yoakam (2004)\01 - Honky Tonk Man.wma
#EXTINF:185,Guitars, Cadillacs
Dwight Yoakam\The Very Best Of Dwight Yoakam (2004)\02 - Guitars, Cadillacs.wma
#EXTINF:185,Little Sister
Dwight Yoakam\The Very Best Of Dwight Yoakam (2004)\03 - Little Sister.wma

I agree, DrBala 1. I really like this little player, but I want to be able to organize my files in FOLDERS. We work with folders on our computers, why not with our media files? Is it that difficult? Hello, is anyone LISTENING?

DrBala1 wrote:

Absolutely! With hundreds of MP3 players out there that operate like a flash drive–drag and drop right out of the box–why ask me to learn and go through a program I don’t like (WMP)? It’s almost like MP3 players from 10 years ago that made us learn their kludge program to use it How retro! What a fossil!

Drag and drop works, is quick, and I suspect VERY easy to program in this day and age. PLEASE!  If you want to improve your firmware…let my computer recognize the Clip as a drive and let me drag and drop… even if it means I can’t make playlists!

But you CAN put the Clip into MSC mode, and have it recognized as a removable drive.  It has to be done with the hold/center button trick, so not quite as nice as if it was selectable via firmware, but it still can be done. 

With a Mac you don’t even have to use the Hold trick.

/smug

tracerhand wrote:
With a Mac you don’t even have to use the Hold trick.

/smug

How do you do MTP … are you able to sync subscription music to the Clip with a Mac?

A few questions to sibion (or anyone else working with m3u files and MSC):

It seems at one time the method described near the beginning of this post for m3u playlist creation was working.  Now it don’t seem to matter where I put the m3u playlist the player still can see it, process it (s-l-o-w-l-y!) and show the songs, but go to play the first one (or any of them) and it locks the player up.  Reformatting didn’t help, and making the playlist as short as 30 songs still resulted in a lockup.  Has anyone had m3u issues after upgrading the firmware the other day?  I don’t think that’s causing it, but who knows.  Also, how long of playlists are you using?  Maybe if someone can post part of an m3u playlist they got to work recently that would help. 

My playlist is about 275 songs and sits in the root of the folder.  What I noticed is that you need the relative path (i.e. \MUSIC\ARTISTFOLDER\ALBUMFOLDER\01-song.mp3) of the file which you can set up in mp3tag if you are using that program.   Some m3u creators add in the drive letter F: K: or whatever your Clip drive is in letters if you are using MSC.  Open in notepad and verify that the files do not have any drive letter and the relative paths are accurate.  Other than that I am not sure what else could be going on.

I agree that Media player is a POS program.  I have had good luck with the free Musicmatch.  Rips and synchronizes flawlessly.   I have not created playlists just prefer to select by artist or song or the other options in the Sansaclip but playlists are available im Musicmatch.

gh

Thanks for replying to my questions.  The new post here: http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=777 shows that you can put the playlist in the same folder as your music and strip out all path info.  This might be easiest method, at least it worked for me, and you don’t have an m3u file hanging out in your root folder with those scary looking .sys files!  It should be noted that you do not have to use Media Player to create an m3u playlist.  All it is is a text file, create it however you want (review it in a text editor to se if it’s correct, a step I was not doing).  The key is any incorrect path info at all will cause the Clip not to play the playlist.

Now I wonder if all the path info (per sibions method) causes slower database refresh.  When I get time I will test this and find out.

Thanks again

What a disapointment, after waiting months for the clip to be released in Uk I know find that it’s software is total rubbish. 

I don’t want to use media player I chose to use drag and drop which is avilable on most of even the cheapies.  If I try to put an album on the clip or any files and folders they immediately go into music and all mix up so the result is chaos.

My first mp3 a Rio 500 that I bought nearly 12 years ago had more flexibilty.

O dear.! 

So use MSC (Mass Storage Capacity) mode in which your player simply operates as a drive, which you can default to under firmware version .18, under Settings/USB.

And drag and drop still is available for use even when you are in MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode.

I just proved to myself this is true: the paths of the files in the m3u file are relative to the current directory and you can have
playlists in subdirectories.

However you can’t use … in a playlist to ascend the tree.  A playlist Ac_Dc can’t have an entry to …\After_Forever in it - well it will just be ignored.
Too bad too, it would be nice to be able to organize playlists into their own directory.

I tried the filename pattern from MTABLE.SYS, that is to use an absolute path of mmc:0:\MUSIC\After_Forever.. but that didn’t work, either. 
There probably is a way, but without direct support from the firmware coders, I could be at this for a long time before I figure it out.

I’ve started writing a Tcl/Tk GUI version of m3uent which should be cross-platform - maybe I’ll get this all figured out someday. No promises, though.
Some win user will have to make it work there. I don’t even have a windows computer to try it on. (but I could buy several dozen clips with the money
I’ve not spent on crappy windows in the past 14 years.)

Robert