Player hangs when microSD card 1GB is inserted

I have Kingston 1 GB microSD card full of MP3 songs, pictures and videos which I was using with my mobile. I have another 256 MB Nokia microSD card which was also used with my mobile. The Nokia card when inserted into the Fuze creates no problem, and I can access its contents. However on inserting the 1 GB Kingston Card, my Sansa Fuze hangs. I tried switching off the player before inserting the card, then I insert the card and switch on the player, after which it hangs at the Sansa logo screen.

Please help

There is a known compatibilty issue with videos on Kingston cards when used in the Sansa line of mp3 players. Audio files should be OK. I’m not sure about photos.

But you should never insert or remove a card when the player is powered on.

There is a known compatibilty issue with videos on Kingston cards when used in the Sansa line of mp3 players. Audio files should be OK. I'm not sure about photos.

There is a known compatibilty issue with videos on Kingston cards when used in the Sansa line of mp3 players. Audio files should be OK. I'm not sure about photos.

I’m afraid that’s not the case. I tested with another Kingston 2 GB card and I can access its contents, so it looks like the issue is with the particular 1 GB card I mentioned, although I’m not sure what it is. Is there a way to find out ?

Did the 2GB card contain the same contents as the 1GB card?

The problem may be with the Fuze’s firmware, trying to read the contents of the card.  Reformat the card and see if the Fuze hangs when the card is empty.  If not, copy media back on a little bit at a time, and test.  This would be a reasonable experiment even if the 2GB DID have the same contents.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-14-2010 09:22 AM

mnong wrote:
I’m afraid that’s not the case. I tested with another Kingston 2 GB card and I can access its contents, so it looks like the issue is with the particular 1 GB card I mentioned, although I’m not sure what it is. Is there a way to find out ?

You said this card had videos on it, right? Could be the compatibility issue I mentioned, or one or more ID3 tags being un-readable by the Fuze causing it to hang-up.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

format your cards using that, not windows/linux format commands, this tool formats to sd card specs, over doubled the speed of a couple of my class6 cards :D 

Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know there’s a formatter specific for SD cards.