.pla playlist length

Hi!

I’ve prepared my own custom script to create shared playlist for internal and external memory (it is based on some instructions from this forums but customized for my needs). Recently I have reached over 200 songs on my “every day playlist” and I noticed that songs over 200 number are just not displayed in playlist.

So, is .pla format limited only to 200 songs? If yes, will it be extended? Cuz now it… well… ■■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

What player are you using? I know there’s a 250 song limit in .pla playlists for the e200v2 series, but I thought they raised it twice for the Fuze via firmware updates. I think the current limit is 1000.

It would be interesting to see the script, too

I’m posting on Sansa Fuze forums, so it is obvious I use Sansa Fuze. :stuck_out_tongue: It is V01.02.26F version - so the most recent. Playlist has got 210 songs now and all songs “above” 200 (so the end of playlist) are just not visible.

@ssorgatem: It is not a general purpose script (btw, it is written in PHP), it suits only my needs, because it knows which part of my database is “persistent” and stays in internal memory and which songs (and where from) I copy to external memory. 

@cliffedge wrote:

I’m posting on Sansa Fuze forums, so it is obvious I use Sansa Fuze. :stuck_out_tongue: It is V01.02.26F version - so the most recent. Playlist has got 210 songs now and all songs “above” 200 (so the end of playlist) are just not visible.

One would think so, wouldn’t one? Sadly, things get cross-posted here all the time, so I had to ask. :wink:

This was supposedly addressed a few FW revs ago.  Unfortunately, they overwrite the previous release notes in the FW thread each time they release a new one so it’s hard to go back and figure out which previous release had what.

Anyway, the original FW was limited to 250 (pretty sure 250 and not 200 like you are seeing).  A later release increased the limit to 1000 for pla playlists.

I never confirmed this because I only use MSC mode and m3u playlists, but I definitely remember it listed as an enhancement in a previous FW.

If you search this forum for “pla 1000” (without the quotes) you’ll see a bunch of posts about people hitting the 1000 song limit (like this one), so I’m pretty sure it worked at some point.  Could it possibly be an issue with your script?

the old firmware posts are still here you just have to look for them. here is one of the older one where an enchantment was expanding the go list to 200 songs. 

@drlucky wrote:
the old firmware posts are still here you just have to look for them. here is one of the older one where an enchantment was expanding the go list to 200 songs. 

Ah, good to know.  I thought they were killing the old threads.  Would be nice if they linked all the previous release note threads at the bottom of the current one.

Anyway, I found the one I was thinking of.  It’s actually a Clip FW update.  here’s the relevent item:

• Handle playlists up to 1000 songs.  Fixed playlists with large count taking long time to load.
    • Note: Playlist limited to 1000 songs only applied to .pla playlist.  For .m3u playlist, there is no limitation.

I assumed the same fix was applied to the Fuze, because the next Fuze FW update after that Clip update included the following:

Improved large playlist loading time

Originally both players had two playlist issues: limited size and long loading times.  Certainly, very large m3u playlists seem to be working fine now on both players, but maybe they never ported the MTP playlist fix from the Clip to the Fuze.  Back then they were very good about maintining pairity between the two players, but maybe this one slipped through the cracks.  Again, I only use MSC/m3u, so I never tried the pla fix.  I guess Sansafix or Slotmonsta could confirm.