Ok I made playllists...but how do I edit/add to them?

I need my music separated because I need a playlist for the gym, otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue (because running on the treadmill and then having Jewel pop up doesn’t do much for me!)  Thanks to the info on this site, I was able to make playlists instead of trying to do folders.  But now that I’ve thought of more songs for my Workout Playlist- I can’t figure out how to add to my playlist. 

I tried to put the songs on on the Clip and then tried to move them into the playlist but there’s no such option.  I tried opening the playlist in Windows Media Player and then editing it, but it won’t open any further than “Workout Playlist”.  It will play my playlist that is on the device when I click on it, but it won’t list the songs or allow me to edit it.

Sorry if this has already been explained, I looked around the board first and didn’t see anything.  I’m hoping this is a really simple process.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Bananalee on 02-06-2008 11:21 AM

I assume you are using Windows Media Player 11.

Using Windows Explorer,  navigate to the Sansa Clip devices internal memory and drill down into the music folder and locate the playlist.

Right click the playlist and open it.

You can drag new files into the playlist to add,  or delete by selecting a file in the list and clicking the X.

You can select a song and move it up or down in the list.

When you are done,  just save the list and you are back in business.

Theres a way to do this in WMP 11 as well,  but I find it pretty easy to use the Explorer for this.

You can also create new playlists in Windows explorer.

I did what you said but when I clicked on the playlists folder, it was empty.  I know it’s there because I put the playlist as a whole on the sync list and it shows up under ‘playlists’ on my mp3 player.  (It also shows up in WMP when I plug in the device).  I looked under music and although there is no mention of playlists there, I do see folders of music which I have to click on twice before I see the music file.

I tried again to do it in WMP (and yes, it is WMP 11) but I still couldn’t get it to work.

Thanks.

Please start by selecting a song or group of songs on the player (using Explorer) and right clicking then select “create  playlist”.

You can then do the steps I described with the list,  and you can put the playlist in the Playlists folder.

OK you can do this from WMP11 as well

Here is the trick

Select and open the playlist,  you can right click to remove  a song from the list or move it up/down in the list

If you want to add songs to the playlist select the album from your library and drag it to the far right hand list window. 

From there you can select a particular song, and drag it to the playlist that is open in the center and place it in the position you want.

This sets up the playlist on your computer, then you can sync that list to your device by dragging the playlist to the sync window.

It should overwrite the playlist that is on the device…

sansafix wrote:
Please start by selecting a song or group of songs on the player (using Explorer) and right clicking then select “create  playlist”.

OK, so this is the second time I’ve seen someone mention a “create playlist” item when right-clicking on songs in Windows Explorer.  I’m not seeing this on my PC (Windows XP Home SP2).  ?Que?

To get the right-click in Explorer create playlist option, you must have Windows XP SP2 (or Vista), Windows Media Player 11, and use MTP mode (the default).

“Select and open the playlist,  you can right click to remove  a song from the list or move it up/down in the list
If you want to add songs to the playlist select the album from your library and drag it to the far right hand list window. 
From there you can select a particular song, and drag it to the playlist that is open in the center and place it in the position you want.”

• I can’t open the playlist in WMP.  I’m trying to open the playlist under “Sansa Clip 2GB” and it is just an icon that says “Workout Songs” and when I right click, my only options are delete and properties.  The edit option is gray and unclickable.

Maybe I added the playlist incorrectly?  I made a playlist in WMP and then collapsed it and drug the entire thing over to the sync list so the individual songs weren’t listed on the sync list, just “Workout Songs” although individual songs show up on the mp3 player.

I can’t figure this out at all.

Got it!  I gave up trying to do it in WMP and tried Windows explorer again.  I selected all my songs (luckily, I haven’t put any other songs on there yet except my workout songs) and right clicked and created a playlist and it didn’t overwrite the playlist I already had by the same name but just made another one, this time with the extra songs I wanted on there.

Seems silly to have to go through all this and be unable to make changes with the same program I synced with, but it’s worth it to have my songs organized.

My last resort would have been to just have all my songs in one place and put the songs I wanted to workout to on the ‘Go List’ so if anyone else has the same problem, that’s also an option.

Thanks so much for your help!

Inkadinkadoo wrote:
To get the right-click in Explorer create playlist option, you must have Windows XP SP2 (or Vista), Windows Media Player 11, and use MTP mode (the default).

Oh man … all this time I thought we were talking about MSC mode.

MTP mode is simple … just use MediaMonkey.  :stuck_out_tongue:

In WMP itself you cant edit the devices playlist.  You can create a playlist on your computer and sync it to the device.

If you edit and sync it again,  it will update the playlist on the device to match.