How to create playlist?

Thank you guys. Following your instructions I am getting better and better with whole mp3 thing. Now it is time for playlists. I have ripped a few albums using Cdex, transferred them to Sansa.

Can someone please explain to me how can I and using what software make playlist with my favorite songs? Songs can be in different folders, correct?

Go to the Music Folder

In the Music Folder, right click and make a New Folder and name it.
Open the new folder and make another folder and name that one.
Copy and paste all the songs you want to be in a playlist into the new folder (so you have Music folder –> folder 1 –> folder 2 with music). (you can make as many folders as you want. I have about 15 playlists).
Right click the new folder 2 with the songs you just dropped in and click on make playlist,
name the playlist. Copy and paste playlists into the music folder

Then delete only the playlists themselves (not the mp3’s) from the second folder
Disconnect the MP3 player

Message Edited by LynnH on 12-26-2008 07:54 PM

Message Edited by LynnH on 12-26-2008 07:57 PM

Message Edited by LynnH on 12-26-2008 07:59 PM

Thank you for your input.

This is so complicated. So I have to copy songs from albums in folder 2 (under folder1), right click and create playlist. But doing this I am making duplicate files on Sansa, correct (one in album, and second in playlist folder).

So I can’t create playlist that will point to existing files and play in that order – without copying those files in new folder.

Are you using MTP mode?  If you are, hold down ctrl and click each song you want on the playlist.  Then right click and choose the playlist option.  You can add other songs to the playlist afterwards (for example if they are in different folders) by (if I remember right) dragging and dropping them into the playlists.

I used mediamonkey to create playlists and sync my device now, for me it is much easier, because I mainly listen to playlists so have quite a few to keep up to date.

The other method described is a little overcomplicated for my liking.

Jason,

I used Windows Media Player and Sandisk has a page on their website that gives you detailed instuction on how to do it. It is very simple.

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1468 - that is the link to the page and scroll down to Windows Media Player 11(if you have WMP 10, there is a link there for that also). Click on “adding playlist to your Sansa mp3 player in MTP mode using Windows Media Player 11”. There is a link for XP or Vista. Once I connected the mp3 player to the computer it starting syncing on its own, just an fyi should it happen to you. Good luck!!

@lynnh wrote:

Go to the Music Folder

In the Music Folder, right click and make a New Folder and name it.
Open the new folder and make another folder and name that one.
Copy and paste all the songs you want to be in a playlist into the new folder (so you have Music folder –> folder 1 –> folder 2 with music). (you can make as many folders as you want. I have about 15 playlists).
Right click the new folder 2 with the songs you just dropped in and click on make playlist,
name the playlist. Copy and paste playlists into the music folder

Then delete only the playlists themselves (not the mp3’s) from the second folder
Disconnect the MP3 player

Message Edited by LynnH on 12-26-2008 07:59 PM

If I’m reading this right, you end up with an extra copy of every song you want in the playlist.  THis wastes a lot of space and isn’t necessary. 

Why are there two USB modes? That makes things more complicated. I have decided to have only “Auto” mode as it confuses me to switch between modes.

(delete duplicate folders)

Revision:

Make a folder for each playlist you want within the music folder

Right click each folder, click make playlist

move playlists to playlist folder

Message Edited by LynnH on 12-27-2008 08:35 PM

I don’t recommend switching between modes; I ended up with duplication of songs when I did that.

If you want this to be simple, use only WMP 11, and use only MTP mode. Erase your device and start over with that platform. Make your playlists in WMP, then sync them to your device after its connected as MTP. You can then sync those very same playlists to any other WMP-compatible device, like a replacement Clip should you lose the one you have, or someone else in the family have one.

It’s really quite simple compared to all the other workarounds discussed.

PKK

Can I just leave it as it is on “Auto” mode or I have to switch to “MTP” mode?

Jason,

I am pretty new to this and when I loaded my playlist I was on the auto mode and didn’t realize it, it loaded fine.

is it possible to create playlists without WMP11?

what types of playlist formats does the clip support?

is it possible to create a playlist without copying the files again and having a duplicate of each file?