Number Of Playable Songs? (Clip+)

I loaded up 9,500 songs on the player & put it on shuffle. When it;s playing, it says “#### of 4775”, implying to me that only 4775 songs are recognized? It certainly plays very well & is doing a great job on shuffling - I am just wondering if any of the other 4000+ songs will ever play using the shuffle mode?

The Clip+'s track limit is ~8000. The database (and track count) is derived from the ID3 tags of the audio files. Could you have 4000+ songs that have no (or wrong format) tags?

Also, are all your songs in a format the Clip recognizes (and not, for example, aac files)?

Tapeworm -  All have been tagged the same. 4,775 are recognized. 8,000 would be better.

Question 2 - do you know if the 8,000 includes the addition of an extra card?

Question 3 - since you mentioned a database being created, is it possible I simply filled the baby too much?

I have nothing to lose at this point, so I’ll try erasing 1500 to see if the extra space brings me up to 8,000 & report back one I figure out what to cut - lol!!!

Thanks for the hints.

REPORT BACK: I took off 25 albums, and the media reset. Now there are 4767 - less instead of more. So, I will go back & check the tags. I must have erased a few that were tagged correctly. Thanks again.

Miikerman - all are the same mp3 format. Thanks!

I should have asked last night - which tags are “must-haves”, and which should might be goofing me up?

What I’m wondering is since the clip doesn’t show album art, are all the files with album art not being recognized?

@rsoos wrote:

Tapeworm -  All have been tagged the same. 4,775 are recognized. 8,000 would be better.

Question 2 - do you know if the 8,000 includes the addition of an extra card? Yes.

Question 3 - since you mentioned a database being created, is it possible I simply filled the baby too much? If the limit is 8000, and you put 9500 songs on there yes, I’d say so.

I have nothing to lose at this point, so I’ll try erasing 1500 to see if the extra space brings me up to 8,000 & report back one I figure out what to cut - lol!!!

Thanks for the hints.

REPORT BACK: I took off 25 albums, and the media reset. Now there are 4767 - less instead of more. So, I will go back & check the tags. I must have erased a few that were tagged correctly. Thanks again.

Here’s a thought . . . are all the songs in the Music folder? The reason I ask is that you can put songs in the Podcasts or Audiobooks folders and they will play, but not be counted as part of the song (or track) total.

A couple notes on ID3 tags . . . Make sure the format is ID3v2.3 !SO-8859-1. Make sure the Comments field in blank; no silly website addresses or album reviews. No foriegn (Japanese, Chinese, Russian or Farsi) characters.

Another couple questions since you mentioned an external memory card. Are any of these missing songs on a memory card? Is it new? Is is genuine SanDisk? Any possibility that it could be counterfeit or fake?

Thanks for the hints on the tags. I’ll check the comments. I used them when ripping some cds - figuring it was safe. 

I really like your idea for audiobooks, etc. That will give me a place to store Christmas songs for the holidays.

So far I haven’t used a memory card; but I will include that total in the 8,000 now that you let me know. I’ll put extras in the other folders, as you suggested.

This player is for my mother-in-law, so I’m trying to make it as easy as possible for her to play her favorite music in shuffle mode. 

MP3Tag is without-a-doubt the hands-down favorite among ID3 tag editiors. You can edit files ‘en masse’, making quick work of blanking out Comments and assuring the correct format. After you download and install the program, change the Write setting in Tools to the format listed above. Then don’t forget to click the Save icon after you make your changes.

Yes, it’s best to keep mother-in-laws happy  . . .