Not enough space free 30mb for music DB problem.

Hi,

I have had my Sansa clip now for 2 days, and i have received this ‘not enough space free 30mb music DB’ problem. I can connect the device to the computer, i have tried to re-format, i have followed all instructions in the other threads. I am having no luck what so ever.

Things i have done. Reformatted device. Tried Sansa Firmware installer (didn’t recognise that i had a sansa player plugged in).

All i see is a hard disk titled Sansa Clip in my computer. Windows Media Player will not let me format it (the option is greyed out).

When the device arrived it had lots of folders and files on it (that were visible on the computer), presumably to help it operate, but since reformatting it it now has none (obviously) is there a way i can download and install these files onto it to get it to work again?

I cannot access the device at all without a computer as this error comes up and then it turns off.

Please does anyone have an option that i may not have tried yet?

TIA. 

My thoughts were would it be possible to reinstall the music db manually from the PC? Or is there a way to get the system files that i have lost and re-load them onto the clip then it will function again?

TIA 

This is getting really stupid. I have no hidden files on my clip, i have no files at all. Still saying the same error. Tried updating the firmware, but still the same error. Tried formatting in FAT32 and FAT neither makes any difference. Tried data recovery on it, nothing there of any help.

Can someone give me an alternative solution or is it really buggered? Good that it lasted a total of 2 days though!

Is there no way of re-installing software directly to the device?

Also when i reformat FAT32 what allocation size do i need to have, i have tried default to no avail?

same problem here :cry:

plzzzzzzzzzzz help…!!

If you can access the root of your device through the computer, you should be able to manually install the firmware (not using the installer).  The instructions are included on the Firmware sticky note at the top of the list. 

O.K. i am now so happy… Finally managed to figure out the problem. One thing i didn’t mention was that i formatted the drive on a mac computer. I didn’t think this was relevant because i also formatted it with a PC straight after and it made no difference. I must have formatted the drive 20 times in various different ways. 

I finally found the solution, and it was nothing that i had previously read anywhere… Hope this helps.

I went back to the Mac as that was where i thought the problem may still be (turns out it was).

1.Opened disk Utility with the Sansa connected. 

1. Selected the Sansa Clip and went to Partition.

2. Selected 1 Partition (named it Sansa Clip).

3. Clicked on ‘Options’.

4. Selected Master Boot Record (this is the problem, must have this setting otherwise will not work).

5. Hi OK then Apply. Disconnect… Hey Presto it all works fine now.

Really really hope this will help someone else also. Like i said i saw no other threads with this listed so if you have had a problem like this on the mac then it’ll hopefully save your clip too. 

This totally fixed the problem I had getting my Clip to work with my Mac. Thank you so much!

As far as I know, the Clip uses fat or fat32 I didn’t know you could format with a Mac. You don’t have to format from the computer, you can do this from settings. Once you turn the clip on after formatting (fat32), the system files and folders you thought were lost will re-appear.

Just drop the folders containing your music onto the music folder. The clip uses tag data to index things. 

Thanks a bunch!!! works for me as well!!!

Hi man!!

I did just like you said, and when it finished doing the partition, the message “not enough space for DB” is still there…

Did you selected “Mac OS Extended (journaled)” as the format type??

I did it!!

Thanks man!!

I am experiencing this same problem with the not enough space message.  I thought it was a rhapsody problem, since that is my music source.  I have Windows Vista.  Does anyone have a solution being connected to Vista as opposed to a MAC?  thanks.

@pecanpconn wrote:

I am experiencing this same problem with the not enough space message.  I thought it was a rhapsody problem, since that is my music source.  I have Windows Vista.  Does anyone have a solution being connected to Vista as opposed to a MAC?  thanks.

Cause and solution from the SanDisk KnowledgeBase.

Most likely Solution #2.