new user help

Short of reading every post, is there a “dummies” place where I can go to learn how to get music onto my Sansa Clip?  I know enough to be dangerous.

I have music on my computer, and when I drag & drop it to my Sansa “drive”, some of the music stays in an individual artist’s folder, but MANY albums all get put into one folder, “Artist”, where all track 1’s are together, then track 2’s etc.  How can I keep them separated by album?

Also, I have an audiobook on 8 CD’s that I thought I copied onto my computer, but when I drag & drop them to the player, nothing is registering.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Judy

As to the second, by any chance is the audiobook protected by some form of digital rights management?  That could be stopping the transfer to your Clip. 

Good question - I’m not sure how I’d know this.  But - I CAN listen to it through my computer by clicking on each of the icons created by each disc.  So I think it worked (the copying part).

I just looked at “properties” of each file, and it says they’re MPEG4, and that they ARE protected.  Now what are my choices?

Thanks.

Judy

@judywisconsin20 wrote:

I have music on my computer, and when I drag & drop it to my Sansa “drive”, some of the music stays in an individual artist’s folder, but MANY albums all get put into one folder, “Artist”, where all track 1’s are together, then track 2’s etc.  How can I keep them separated by album?

Well, this really sounds like your MP3s do not have information in the Artist tag OR that their Artist tag say literally ‘Artist’. Check some id3 tag-editing software like mp3tag. You can also use Windows Media Player for that but is a little more difficul (that is my opinion; you can still check buy yourself).

Besides, if you want to use your own folder structure you have to connect the Clip in the MSC mode (do a quick search and you will find a lot of threads about MSC and MTP modes). However, this may not be really useful (again, IMO) because once inside the Clip the navigation is tag-based, not folder based (there are also various threads about the lack of folder navigation and the tag-based browsing).

To put it simple: no matter how you transfer the files (MSC or MTP), to get the Clip to see them as separated by album you need to assign proper album tags. If what you want is to see them in the Windows Explorer separated by album (or by whatever you may like) you need to do the transfer in MSC mode.

I hope I gave you enough keywords to make more specific searches in the forums.

Good luck and enjoy.

Message Edited by porio on 09-15-2008 06:33 PM

@judywisconsin20 wrote:

Good question - I’m not sure how I’d know this.  But - I CAN listen to it through my computer by clicking on each of the icons created by each disc.  So I think it worked (the copying part).

I just looked at “properties” of each file, and it says they’re MPEG4, and that they ARE protected.  Now what are my choices?

Thanks.

Judy

Well, if they are protected, you may be able to use Windows Media Player 10 or 11 to transfer them to your Clip–WMP is precisely for that purpose (handling DRM files).  Just make sure your Clip is in MTP mode for that (on the Clip, Settings/USB set to MTP or to Automatic, and the computer you are connected to needs to be using Windows XP SP2 or above and WMP 10 or above).  I hope this helps/works!