my sansa e280 v2 won't recognize my sdhc 4 gb card

my sansa e280 v2 won’t recognize my sdhc card and i’v already read other posts but it doesn’t work. i’v used it under msc mode but the music doesn’t show. it comes up on the computer but obviously i need extra room.

some posts say still use rockbox anyway but i don’t understand what to do.

please help!!!

@asgaardguard wrote:

my sansa e280 v2 won’t recognize my sdhc card and i’v already read other posts but it doesn’t work. i’v used it under msc mode but the music doesn’t show. it comes up on the computer but obviously i need extra room.

please help!!!

Elaborate please?

What kind of files?

What kind of computer/OS (Mac, PC, Windows, Linux)?

Are the files tagged ID3 tags)?

Are the tags is the proper format?

Method of transfer to the player (sync or drag & drop)?

Are you sure it’s not a counterfeit card?

What have you done/tried?

Stuff like that. :wink:

asgaardguard wrote:

please help!!!

Elaborate please?

What kind of files?

Stuff like that.

asgaardguard wrote:

please help!!!

Elaborate please?

What kind of files?

Have you verified (via firmware version) that your player is indeed a v2?

Stuff like that.

asgaardguard wrote:

please help!!!

Elaborate please?

What kind of files?

Have you verified (via firmware version) that your player is indeed a v2?

Stuff like that.

um in order: music files 

pc and its xp

sorry to sound dumb but i don’t actually know what ID3 tags are…

drag and drop

its a genuine sdhc card but the brand is PNY (does that matter? If so sorry :S)

yes it is a v2 :stuck_out_tongue:

and i’v tried suggestions from other posts but to no avail.

stuff like reformating, msc mode, different types of files (converted photo files from smc) and so on.

is that helpful?

@asgaardguard wrote:

please help!!!

Insert the card to slot of your E280 and you should feel a clicking sound, then on the menu of your Sansa go to Settings > System Info and check if there is any information about “SD”. If it does show the capacity of the card then the file format  of the songs you have loaded might not be compatible. It should be Mp3 or wma

I tried what you said. I heard the click from the sdhc card fitting in position but the capacity didn’t come up. Infact the sd wasn’t even shown at all. Also the music files were mp3 as usual. I didn’t get an answer before about if the brand type of sdhc card matters? Its a PNY sd card if that helps.

I like the SanDisk µSD cards that are packaged with a handy card reader or USB adaptor.  Using a reader, you can check the card by simply opening a Windows Explorer window (My Computer), and see if the card is recognized.

Now for the Sansa itself.  There was some question over whether the device is a v1 or v2 device.  Simply power up the Sansa and have a look at the startup screen.  If you see the SanDisk logo with a blue sansa below that, it’s a v2.  The v2 device will read µSDHC (over 2GB) cards natively (using the original firmware).  The v1 machines need Rockbox to do this, otherwise, 2GB is the limit.

The µSD card slot is our next point of interest.  The design is a push-in, push-out type: the card will install with a soft click into the “sled”, then will connect with a gentle press (you will hear the little click) as the sled reaches the “mounted” innermost position.  The card will just be visible when looking from the edge.  To release, a gentle press will release the card.  In each case, you’ll hear the double click as the mechanism moves, once when pressing, and once when pressure is released via your finger tip.

On the player, go to Settings > Info and look for the SD card entry.  The capacity of the card will show, with Free space listed below that.  As a footnote, if you have a 4GB card or larger, these must be formatted as FAT32 , and 2GB cards will be FAT.  The card must display here in the Info screen, regardless of whether there are songs, video, or photos on the card.

The Sansa e200 series navigates to your music via the embedded ID3 Tags in the mp3 or WMA files.  The ID3 tag is part of the design of these files. Without this information, you can see the filename only from the PC, but the player will list the file as “unknown”, making things difficult of course.

First, check out the card and the µSD socket.

This brief video is something I’m very glad to have found.  Listen to the double click.  Internally, the Sansa has a similar “sled” mechanism.

Once we verify that the card socket and card are OK, then you can check out the ID3 tags.  The e200 wants ID3v2.3 ISO8859-1 (Latin-1) tags.  Yes, this is the standard ID3 format for Windows Media Player and most commercial downloaded music files.

The ID3 tag is simple to edit using MP3Tag, Media Monkey, or Windows Media Player.  First, check out your card, then we can tackle the tag metadata.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I never saw this post… It turns out that it must be a V1 according to the link. My sansa says V2 on the back but i never compared the Version under info compared to the basic V2. I found out by another post saying V2s have a delete option as mine doesn’t. Sorry for wasting your time but thanks for trying to help :S http://sansa.lithium.com/t5/Sansa-e200-series/refurbished-E280-v2-on-back-but-v1-inside/m-p/128259 But could i have some help on how to get rockbox for my e280 so that i can use my sdhc card? I might need installation steps though because i have already looked over rockbox but it seems complicated for me…

Re-furbed players often have the wrong back-plate on them, so you can’t trust that to determine the version. You have to go by the firmware version under Info.

Rockbox can be daunting; it’s not for everyone and it’s not a no-brainer like the OF (original firmware). There’s definitely a learning curve associated with it. It kinda depends on how badly you want to use a memory card larger than 2GB in this player. You can check it out at www.rockbox.org. Once you get it set up the way you want, then it’s pretty easy, but with all the configurable settings & options it can seem overwhemlming at first. Some like it; some hate it.

Is there any kind of way to roll back f-wares or once i put on rockbox the sansa firmware is deleted? I installed the rockbox utility, I selected e200 V1, I installed the bootloader, now do i just “install rockbox on your audio player” or do i need to do anything under quick start?

RB firmware doesn’t replace the OF, but rather sits alongside of it. You can boot into either at will. The Rocbox utility should install everything for you.

I put it on and its great! games are addictive… thanks very much:D