my fuze is uselss

I have a 4 gb fuze that i was just using for music. Basically i was using it one day and everthing was working fine and the next day when i went to turn it on at work, it lit the screen up white with a single thin black stripe going down the left hand side.  No welcome screen, nothing.  So im thinking one of my songs may have been a virus, im not sure.  But im pretty sure if i just replace the core files that come on it it should work again.  so im wondering if anyone has those files and could copy those files for me and send them as an attachement to my email address.  The files are

MTABLE.SYS

RES_INFO.SYS

SYS_CONF.SYS

VIDEO_BM.SY

thanks for your help

btw, my email is redmatt33@yahoo.com and you can just plug your fuze in, and copy them right out of the the sansa drive.  anyone can do it who has a fuze.  thanks guys

you could also try downloading the latest firmware and trying to flash it and see if that restores your FUZE’s OS-

Did you try the soft reset, reboot?  Holding the on switch up for about 10 seconds?  I had to do that with my Fuze after I got it, most do, actually most players have to be reset, just like a computer does on occassion.

thanks guys.  yes i have tried the soft reset.  it does the same thing when it boots again.  and the firmware i cant get to work for 2 reasons. A, im dual booting with linux and windows.  linux i tried to use wine to instal the firmware, and it isnt fully supported, so thats out of the question.  But when i boot to windows, the fuze is not recognized. i tried all the tips in the forum and on the sansa website, no luck.  SO the firmware is useless there.  But im positive, the problem will go away, if someone will just take 2 minutes of their time and copy and send those files to me at the address i posted, it would be like starting fresh.  So please… if you can take the time to reply to this, can you instead use that time to copy those 4 small files and email them to me!!! PLEASE!!!

I think that you don’t need those files… You just need to update the firmware… You can force your mp3 to msc mode by putting it on hold and pressing the rewind while plugging it in… wait for it to be recognized before you let go. then just copy and paste the “fuzea.bin” (it’s in the zip folder that you need to download) on the root directory of the sansa fuze.

It might work. If that still didn’t work… call Tech Support and have it replace!:stuck_out_tongue:

@redmatt wrote:

But im pretty sure if i just replace the core files that come on it it should work again.  so im wondering if anyone has those files and could copy those files for me and send them as an attachement to my email address.  The files are

MTABLE.SYS

RES_INFO.SYS

SYS_CONF.SYS

VIDEO_BM.SY

Copying this files from another player will not help you.

• MTABLE.SYS is the on-board database. The player actually builds this from scratch the 1st time you boot-up & ‘refreshes’ it when you add or delete files.
  • RES_INFO.SYS is the ‘personal identification’ of your particular player.
  • SYS_CONF.SYS is the settings (volume, back-light time-out, 12 vs. 24 Hr time, etc.) Again this will not help you from somebody else’s player.
  • VIDEO_BM.SYS - Not exactly sure about this as I don’t get involved with videos, but I would assume that it also is a system file to remember video settings or what videos are on the player.

All these files are self-generating. They cannot simply be copied & pasted from another player. 

Sound like you may have corrupted files and/or corrupted firmware. You need to manually install firmware either in Recovery Mode (if v1) or ‘forced’ MSC mode (if v2) and probably run ChkDsk and format the device to get rid of all the bugs and start over loading everything back onto it.

Check out the most recent additions prior to the point when this behavior started. You may find bad ID3Tags in one or more of them.

@redmatt wrote:

But im pretty sure if i just replace the core files that come on it it should work again.  so im wondering if anyone has those files and could copy those files for me and send them as an attachement to my email address.  The files are

MTABLE.SYS

RES_INFO.SYS

SYS_CONF.SYS

VIDEO_BM.SY

Copying this files from another player will not help you.

• MTABLE.SYS is the on-board database. The player actually builds this from scratch the 1st time you boot-up & ‘refreshes’ it when you add or delete files.
  • RES_INFO.SYS is the ‘personal identification’ of your particular player.
  • SYS_CONF.SYS is the settings (volume, back-light time-out, 12 vs. 24 Hr time, etc.) Again this will not help you from somebody else’s player.
  • VIDEO_BM.SYS - Not exactly sure about this as I don’t get involved with videos, but I would assume that it also is a system file to remember video settings or what videos are on the player.

All these files are self-generating. They cannot simply be copied & pasted from another player. 

Sound like you may have corrupted files and/or corrupted firmware. You need to manually install firmware in ‘forced’ MSC mode and probably run ChkDsk and format the device to get rid of all the bugs and start over loading everything back onto it.

Check out the most recent additions prior to the point when this behavior started. You may find bad ID3Tags in one or more of them.