My Fuze is acting crazy - edited version!

My fuze is doubling my songs and my video clips. I have painstakingly went through and deleted one each of the doubled songs , only to find out that I have the title of the song left - but no music. So I went and deleted all of the “empty” songs, thinking I would just downlaod them again. Now everytime my Fuze refreshes, it puts some of those deleted song titles back on and there is no music associated with them.

Why does it do this?

How do I stop it from doubling again?

How do I stop it from putting the deleted titles back on with no music? ( I tried resetting to factory settings)

Is there a way to delete an album instead of deleting every individual song?

It was a long process to deleted one of the double titles and then go back and delete the leftover titles. I am tired of deleting!!!

Oh - one more question! I am using Windows Media Player to download. I thought I would be able to view all of the songs I have on the Fuze on WMP, but I can’t. Should I be able to? I also can’t view what I have on the Fuze when I look at the internal memory via “My Computer”. Shouldn’t I be able to see all of my songs and delete from there if I chose to?

Thanks for any suggestions / help!!

Thanks for the responses - would have helped if I had mentioned one critical thing! See my last post!

Message Edited by lulubelle on 09-09-2008 02:58 PM

Message Edited by lulubelle on 09-09-2008 03:00 PM

Message Edited by lulubelle on 09-09-2008 03:56 PM

Sync/formatting issues  this link talks about automatic sync, maybe you have that set up on your WMP for always?

I found that on the Sync tab in WMP if I don’t uncheck the ones I’ve synced, they will sync again.

I use Explore to look at my Fuze (tip:  press the windows button [down by the alt key] and the letter E to bring it up).  This shows what I have on my Fuze.  I think this is how I’ve deleted large items on mine, but I haven’t tried an album.

I’m sure others have other ideas that may work.

I believe Dalaug234 is correct . . . Windows Media Player is the culprit. I’m not going to climb up on my soapbox again, but . . .

Yes, you CAN be free . . . all it takes is  MSC! :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe Dalaug234 is correct . . . Windows Media Player is the culprit. I’m not going to climb up on my soapbox again, but . . .

Yes, you CAN be free . . . all it takes is MSC! :stuck_out_tongue:

I may have forgotten to mention that all of this has happened WITHOUT my Fuze being connected to a computer! The original doubling mishap occurred when I stupidly took out my SD card WHILE I was listening to a song. The SD card only has bird calls on it, so I was listening to what was on the internal memory. It refreshed and when I went to play songs again, that is when I noticed that songs were doubled. Oddly enough, it did not double the songs on every album nor did it double all of the songs on an individual album. The refrshing issue has also occurred without being connected. It also doubled al of my video clips which were a royal pain in the hiney to get downloaded. Every time I turn it on, it refreshes and I find quite of the deleted “empty” songs back on it. So WMP is not the culprit - my Fuze is the guilty party!!

I did look through the forums before I posted because I learned before I got the Fuze that many issues can resolved by looking through the forum. However, I did not find anything that directly addressed this particular issue. But since you brought it up…! I found a post that said to chose MTP if you are using WMP, but that MSC was really better overall. So which one should I use!!!

Message Edited by lulubelle on 09-09-2008 03:27 PM

@lulubelle wrote:

I may have forgotten to mention that all of this has happened WITHOUT my Fuze being connected to a computer! The original doubling mishap occurred when I stupidly took out my SD card WHILE I was listening to a song.

Well . . . THAT’S certainly a fine mess you’ve gotten us into, Stanley!”  :smileyvery-happy:

Removing the SD card while in operation can cause some bad mojo! Unfortunately, to correct the situation now may require that you re-format both the card _ and _ your player. You could try running ChkDsk first, though. Are any of the bird calls on the SD card doubled? If not, you may be able to get by just re-formatting the player. But, as you know if you’ve been reading this forum, formatting erases everything you’ve put on it so you’ll have to “bear the pain” again and re-load everything afterward.

I don’t know of another way to ‘repairing’ things back to the way they were without starting over from scratch, but before you tear into it, see if anyone else has a better, less time-consuming suggestion or solution. After all, this is only my

And btw, I prefer MSC, but “different strokes for different folks.” :wink:

Thanks so much! It was stupid to take out that SD card while I was listening and if I could rewind time, I wouldn’t have done it cuz it has been a pain since then!! I am hoping I don’t have to reformat, but I will know shortly!

Reformating in process!!! Lost 3 of my voice recordings of my classes thanks to my stupidity

D’oh!!

I missed you on the reply.  Next time, try connecting your Fuze in MSC mode, then delete the file mtable.sys in the root directory first.  This is the cumulative music database table.

When the Sansa reports “refreshing database”, it’s appending changes to this file.  If the file has duplicates in it, they’ll remain.  If you delete the mtable.sys file, the Sansa builds a completely fresh one automatically on disconnect.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

what is msc mode?

@serengeti wrote:
what is msc mode?

M ass S torage C lass. It allows your computer to ‘see’ your player as a ‘storage device’ like a thumb drive for example. While is this mode, you can simply drag & drop files from your computer to your player. Easy-Peasy!