My e200 is so hung!

My e200 hangs on Refresh (sic!) Database. Goes to about 50%, then I get a green screen full of squigglies. That’s it.

This was the first time I tried syncing with a large WMP11 Playlist (‘bout 4 gigs). It clearly chocked it. Previously I just moved folders with Windows Explorer and it worked well. The devil made me do it, this time.

I searched and read the Forum, here, the KB, Support FAQs. Did everything. Nothing helps. Resetting by powering down gets back to Refresh Database. Since the e200 is hung the PC XP-SP3 doesn’t “see it” so I can’t reformat the device. I cannot add it automatically (it’s not detected in System Manager even if I look for a new device), I cannot add it manually since it can’t find a driver for it (MPC device). I removed the battery. Let it die. Did everything short of flinging it against the wall. I have had every device known to mankind – there is always a true hard-reset; but not with the e200.

Am I dead in the water?

By your Subject line, I thought you were bragging! :stuck_out_tongue:

On poipose… cute flash :smiley: - although is sure getting on my last nerve. When are they gonna be put out of business?? But, I digress… looking for a hammer to flatten this e200.

You haven’t mentioned . . . do you have a v1 or v2 device?

With a v1, you should be able to use Recovery Mode to re-format and start over.

With a v2, you can force MSC mode so you can use Windows to re-format.

And at least the ‘Smilin’ Bob’ commercials were imaginative and funny, although over-played. This new Extenze BS is just plain irritating with it’s old pron stars who couldn’t act their way out of a wet paper bag!

@ayjayar wrote:
On poipose… cute flash :smiley: - although is sure getting on my last nerve. When are they gonna be put out of business?? But, I digress… looking for a hammer to flatten this e200.

Got one e260v2 4gb for sale.  $40 for the player $5 for shipping.  Sounds like yours is a “brick.”

Tone

@ayjayar wrote:

My e200 hangs on Refresh (sic!) Database. Goes to about 50%, then I get a green screen full of squigglies. That’s it.

This was the first time I tried syncing with a large WMP11 Playlist (‘bout 4 gigs). It clearly chocked it. Previously I just moved folders with Windows Explorer and it worked well. The devil made me do it, this time.

I searched and read the Forum, here, the KB, Support FAQs. Did everything. Nothing helps. Resetting by powering down gets back to Refresh Database. Since the e200 is hung the PC XP-SP3 doesn’t “see it” so I can’t reformat the device. I cannot add it automatically (it’s not detected in System Manager even if I look for a new device), I cannot add it manually since it can’t find a driver for it (MPC device). I removed the battery. Let it die. Did everything short of flinging it against the wall. I have had every device known to mankind – there is always a true hard-reset; but not with the e200.

Am I dead in the water?

If you’ve already done everything, then obviously we can’t help you. On the other hand, maybe you didn’t try everything yet.  Maybe you just tried many things or a few things?  Since you haven’t told us what you’ve already tried or even which player you have (v1 or v2) I’ll just give some long-winded instructions for both player models here.

When you power on your player do you see a blue SANSA on the logo?  If so, you have a v2 device.  If not you have a v1 device.

For v1 models:

1. Power off player.
  2. Slide HOLD switch to locked position (towards headphone jack)
  3. Press and hold the RECORD button while connecting the player to the PC
  4. Release RECORD after you see “welcome to recovery mode” on the player’s screen
  5. Open My Computer (windows explorer) and find a new 16MB-FORMAT removable drive
  6. DO NOT FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT VOLUME!!!
  7. Right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and create a new folder named sansa.fmt in the root directory
  8. Use the safely remove hardware icon in your system tray to disconnect the player
  9. Slide the HOLD button back to the unlocked position
  10. Disconnect player from PC
  11. Watch the player’s screen and not any messages you get
  12. You should hopefully see “format complete” or “format successful” or something to that effect.
  13. Reload your music from your backup files because you just deleted all of it from the player during the format.

For v2 players:

1. Power off player
  2. Slide HOLD switch to locked position (towards headphone jack)
  3. Press and hold the |<< (rewind) button while connecting to the PC
  4. Release |<< when you see “connected” on the player screen
  5. Open My Computer (windows explorer) and locate the drive letter windows has assigned to it.  Usually you will see Sansa e2x0 as the drive label, but not necessarily so.  There will be 2 drives: one for the Sansa and one for the µSDHC slot.
  6. Right click on the Sansa’s drive and select Format… from the context menu.  Choose FAT32 and DON’T do the Quick Format option. 
  7. Reload your music files from your backup files
  8. Use safely remove hardware icon to disconnect (or right-click and choose Eject)
  9. Slide HOLD switch back to unlocked position
  10. Disconnect from PC

Note that it is important to begin with the player powered off in instruction #1.

Note also that one of the causes of the player freezing up during the database refresh can be a bad or corrupted file.  If it is a bad file and you put the same bad file back on the player, can you guess what will happen?

Check your firmware version and update to the latest version if you don’t already have it.  If you have a v1 model with version .18 on it, you can just stick with that one instead of moving to version .24.  On v2 models, you really really really do want to go to verion .16 if you don’t have it.  It is far more robust when it comes to avoiding the database refresh lockup that plagued earlier version of the v2 firmware.

What other causes for database refresh lockup?  Bad ID3 tags either of the wrong format or containing unreadable or invalid characters in one or more of the fields (comment fields seem especially problematic).  The solution to all that ills ID3 tags is a marvelous freeware program called mp3tag.  Get it and use it to set all your ID3 tags to ID3v2.3 iso-8859-1.  Blank out all comment fields.

There is some controversy on whether you need to modify your ID3 tags on the computer prior to putting them on the player or if they can be modified while on the player.  I’m of the opinion the safe thing is to delete them from the player, then modify them while they are on the computer, and then put the modified files back to the player.

Oh, and one more thing, flinging it against the wall has been clinically proven to be ineffective for dealing with this particular issue, so it’s a good thing that wasn’t one of the everythings that you tried.  One user has even reported that smashing his player with a hammer proved to be a fruitless venture, although I’d have to see more research before I’d be willing to accept that particular notion.  He probably just wasn’t using a big enough hammer. :wink:

Evidently you are right. I had not exhausted all options. Just thought I did. See, that’s the thing about ignorance - the ignorant doesn’t know s/he is ignorant.

Bless you, Oh My Guru, may the Godess of Good Fortune smile upon you. Your v.1 instructions worked flawlessly and I am, once again, a happy racquetball warmupper.

I am very thankful. The intructions have been saved for future mindlessnesses.

AJR

Oh, BTW, for those who are still learning… my newly found friend, TheMarkster, is absolutely correct: I had not taken the ID3 TAg warning seriously and just plunked 4.5 gigs of unchecked mp3s unto the poor, helpless little e200. Utterly mea culpa, especially since I do have several terrific taggers, including mp3tag.

Sheepishly,

AJR

Markster, Kudos to you! I have an-e280,and its been sitting in a drawer for months.When napster says Sync your player,they arent kidding.I was away from my p.c. for a while,and after a few weeks my player wouldnt sync or even be recognized at all.It would start to refresh database,then go to a black screen with a single line that would eventually disappear.I tried all the "easy "fixes but they failed(removing the battery,running down the battery,holding down various buttons while starting the player,all useless).What absolutely did work was Marksters method.So if you are tethered to one of the pay-music sites,make sure to sync frequently or risk losing your player,in fact I decided to sever the drm umbilical by cancelling my pay-service.Now if I want a cd, I’ll buy the actual product.Long live the new flesh!