MSC WAV - unknown artist/album

Hi,

Sorry if this is fairly basic but I haven’t managed to find the answer so far…

I have a bunch of cds ripped as WAV using EAC (no special options, just the ‘get cd information’ and then rip). The albums exist on my PC’s hdd in a ‘\artist\album\track’ folder structure and I have copied this structure across to the Fuze in MSC mode. I can browse on play the tracks on the fuze by navigating the folders but would also like to be able to use the Fuze’s ‘Artist’ & ‘Album’ browsing options - all my music appears under on giant ‘Unknown’ artist and ‘Unknown’ album.

I don’t particularly want to convert all my files from wav to another format as space isn’t an issue for me (4+16gb fuze only used for music) and my wav files work across a range of machines/apps.

Is there something I can ‘do’ to wav files (whilst sticking with MSC) so the fuze recognises the album & artist?

Many thanks,

Rob 

I use this awesome software known as MP3Tag to edit my music Tags.

Happy tagging,

SR

@rbrierle wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if this is fairly basic but I haven’t managed to find the answer so far…

I have a bunch of cds ripped as WAV using EAC (no special options, just the ‘get cd information’ and then rip). The albums exist on my PC’s hdd in a ‘\artist\album\track’ folder structure and I have copied this structure across to the Fuze in MSC mode. I can browse on play the tracks on the fuze by navigating the folders but would also like to be able to use the Fuze’s ‘Artist’ & ‘Album’ browsing options - all my music appears under on giant ‘Unknown’ artist and ‘Unknown’ album.

I don’t particularly want to convert all my files from wav to another format as space isn’t an issue for me (4+16gb fuze only used for music) and my wav files work across a range of machines/apps.

Is there something I can ‘do’ to wav files (whilst sticking with MSC) so the fuze recognises the album & artist?

Many thanks,

Rob 

If you want the quality of Wav, I would suggest using the FLAC lossless compression codec that is included with EAC.  The benefit of FLAC is that it supports Tag information and will work with your portable device better than Wav.  Basically it’s a win/win situation.  No loss in audio quality and the added benefit of tag support.  I archive all my music to FLAC for backup for all my CDs; and if a portable device needs another codec, I can simply use the FLAC files as the “master” to convert to the format of choice. 

Yes, I’ve realised (after lots of Google work) that’s tags and wav aren’t a great mix. I’m just going to bite the bullet and go with FLAC then.

Is battery life worse with heavily compressed flac (e.g. 8) than slightly compressed (e.g. 2)?

Cheers,

Rob 

@rbrierle wrote:

Yes, I’ve realised (after lots of Google work) that’s tags and wav aren’t a great mix. I’m just going to bite the bullet and go with FLAC then.

Is battery life worse with heavily compressed flac (e.g. 8) than slightly compressed (e.g. 2)?

Cheers,

Rob 

Honestly, I haven’t tried or checked.  I just use FLAC at the “normal” setting.  It uses battery faster than 128kbps MP3, but I would never consider using MP3 at that low of a bit rate to begin with…so it’s a moot point with me.  With a variety of formats … Ogg, FLAC and high bit rate MP3, I average about 17 hours out of a charge with my Fuzes.

Cheers. I’ve just ended up working at about lvl4 which means EAC ripping from CD and the FLAC encoder are working at about the same speed.

The battery life isn’t the most amazing thing about the Fuze but I imagine fine for me at least 90% of the time.

Rob 

FLAC is most definitely the way to go for lossless, the format allows tag data, and it’s a great reference format, allowing transcoding to whatever you may need.  For example, I transfer to high bitrate MP3 to the Slot Music cards, as the e200 never got FLAC / OGG capability (though the processor can handle those formats well, firmware was halted for the e200v2). 

In doing so, the album art and track data follows seamlesssly.  Gotta love it!

As for battery life, the Fuze has no filament or B+ battery needs, like I grew up with…  If you inspect the LiPo cells of the Clip and Fuze in hand, you’ll really appreciate just how miraculous the battery life has become.  And just how fast they recharge!   If you need extended life, a 30 minute “nap” for your Fuze on a handy USB port is just the ticket.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: