MP3 with voice activated radio

Has anyone ever thought about building in a voice activated walkie-talkie or something similar?  When my wife and I are running and listening to our Sansas It would be nice to be able to talk to each other without having to remove one of the ear buds.  It may be a stupid idea, but the thought just occurred to me yesterday while we were exercising.

I’m reminded of the advice given by Eli Wallach (Tuco) in the bath tub in ‘The Good, The Bad & The Ugly’ movie from the '60s:

“When you have to shoot; shoot! Don’t talk.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Skull Canday makes some earphones with 2 plugs that automatically switch from mp3 player to cell phone for calls.  Would probably work as well for 2-way with compatible plugs or adapters.

I’ve got an idea…

For the Sansa mp3 player line with microphones (Fuze, Clip, View…), is it possible to have a voice activated firmware update? 

Say something like, “Play artist Ozzy Osborn”, and it plays ozzy Osborn, or “Play playlist My Favorite Music,” and it plays that playlist.

To activate it, you could press and hold the home button and talk into the little microphone. 

I suspect voice control would require MAJOR additions to the firmware. Probably more than there’s room for in the ROM.

Prolly hardware, too. Buy a Ford/Mercury with MS Synch if you want voice activation. lol