microSD Problems

Sansa Connect has two big problems with microSD cards: 1. POS goes into sleep mode when transferring more than about 1GB of files from a Windows PC to the card; which means starting the whole copy process again (picking out files to transfer, then trying again to get them on the bloody device).  2. After an unsuccessful transfer, the POS could only read about 1GB of space on a 4GB card – where the other 3GB went, I don’t know!  Had to use my Canon digital camera to do a low-level format on the card just to get the POS Sansa Connect to see all 4GB again – and yes, I lost all the files on the card!!  Wasted about 3 hours troubleshooting what should have been a routine transfer…

Never had this problem on any other MP3 player that used removable flash storage.  Needless to say, I will NEVER buy another SanDisk product…

RIP…

J.W. Stewart, MCSA

bbonw3@juno.com

I own two Sansa Connects, and neither one has the problems you describe.  I’ve used 16GB microSDHC cards in both of them.

I recommend transferring files to the card using an external USB adapter, instead of when the card is inside the Connect, though.  Much faster, as the files are being transferred via MSC instead of MTP.

It seems like a problem with the card, somewhere at about 1GB, no?  Did the reformat fix your first problem also?

Well, I should modify my first reply and say that I have seen problems where the Connect is unable to load the contents of an inserted microSDHC card when connected to USB, as if it times out while trying to read the card.  But that was with a 16GB card full of MP3s.  If I insert the card with less or no contents, I can then fill it without a problem.  But it’s a lot slower than filling it externally with a USB adapter, as I mentioned.

The 4GB SanDisk microSD card works fine in my digital camera, so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue.  It slays me: both the card & player are from SanDisk – are they taking their manufacturing tips from GM??

NO MP3 player should ever time-out when an active file transfer is in progress – the Sansa Connect is the first one I’ve ever had to dork-up during a transfer.

As for sound quality:  It’s not as good as my Sony Walkman 4GB, and nowhere near the quality of my iPod Nano - too bad the batteries crapped-out on those players.  I expected better from SanDisk.  The “House Brand” player I bought my daughter years ago had better playback…

:: Rant Over! ::

The only good thing I can say about it at this point:  It cost less than $50 online…